Athlon Cronus

Clucknmoan

Haven't seen any recent reviews on these scopes. Anyone want to chime in on their experience with these now that they've been out for awhile. Looking to possibly pick one up for an entry PRS rig.

Thanks!

Had a gen 1 for a while and preordered and received the gen2 BTR Cronus. Amazing. To me it's the only really good deal scope around. Yes there are better and many are cheaper that get the job done but.... I paid $1450 and it gives me an amazing reticle 56mm bell house 34mm scope tube great Japanese Light Optic Works glass. (Basically no CA). Awesome mag range. The new parallax is phenomenal. Turrets feel amazing. Better than $3500. Bottom line. The scope should cost at least their msrp of $2100 for the scope but can be had for $1600 right now. Just awesome. I can go more in depth if u want.

I have had one for about a year now, I have the first gen. I will echo the other comments, amazing glass, has tracked perfectly, and held up through some pretty tough conditions. It doesn't have the same turret feel as a gen 2 razor or a nightforce atac, but they are still pretty solid. I actually am still amazed at how good the glass is compared to scopes that cost 1k more. Hopefully Athlon is able to stick around and keep providing the value they do.

I think the BTR might have a slightly different reticle and a different parralax adjustment? And perhaps maybe a different "feel" of the turret clicks?

Maybe I'll get one and find out...

Yeah, I think that's right with the BTR, but I can't find the difference between the G1 and G2 unless everyone is referring to the BTR as the G2. Doubt that, I probably just can t fine it. If no one knows I will give Athlon a ring on Monday.

Yes the BTR we are referring to would be the Gen2 Athlon said they did not rename it as a "gen2" themselves because they did not believe they made enough changes to it to justify that nomenclature. Others have nonetheless because it's easier to talk about it. So if u have questions reach out to JADEPrecision they helped design and field test both generations and are extremely knowledgeable. U can talk directly with them on Facebook messenger. Turrets have a snap sound a feel now. Parallax goes from 25 to 1600 then infinity. Very nice. Reticle is at least a third thinner and cleaned up a little bit with the hashes and dots of the gen 1. All the harsh and tightness moving parts are nice to the hand. U don't have to be a power lifter to move the rings. The battery bay for the illumination was redesigned. The box says BTR on it. Btw it stands for "Better Tactical Reticle". If u have a bet going on what it means. There ya go. Matt at Athlon has answered all my questions on it. Call either jade or him and all ur mystery will lifted. Bottom line on the scope is the following: this scope is worth the MSRP of $2100. Which is not what u can get it for. It's a bargain. Not many scopes are. You want a scope to do all this and have the glass quality you will be at $2500. They all do what this thing does for that price. But it's not. I bought my preordered for $1450 and I don't think there's another scope that has everything this one does.

None. Spot on. I've only ever heard of the gen1 having an issue and even then it was only 2 instances. If there's more I've not heard it. None from the gen2

Here are two examples that I have found. They are certainly older versions. Strange that on both versions it looks like the error is made in the first adjustment and then its consistent down the board. Any ideas why that would be?

[ame]https://youtu.be/3ynchnCZZoI[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/QwzMoRwbJSo[/ame]

Those are the two that killswitchengage did. Yes those are the only two issues that I'm aware with. Both those units were returned to Athlon and sent new ones to those customers. No ideas why scopes tend not to track. Usually it's a compounding issue. These weren't. I'm no engineer.

I have the Gen2 Cronus . Mounted on my new 6mm CreedMoor rifle. My review is "Bad to The Bone " I got a Great deal and I don't think my 60 year old eyes can tell this difference between this glass and a ACTAR . MT Prairie Dogs beware .

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.