Assasination plot

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
Below is a picture taken 3 seasons ago of a 60" bull moose. I have been keeping an eye on this for each season. I havent gone in and harvested this bull due to access issues. A couple of weeks ago I was sheep scouting with my pilot and he showed me a landing strip 1 mile away from this bull. There are 2 50 inchers as well as a couple smaller bulls besides this toad that live in this drainage. Moose season opens Saturday and this bull has a death warrent! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I will be there opening morning and hope to have pictures of a successfull hunt by Sunday or Monday.

315192.JPG

Yeah me too.

I forgot to mention that I saw him there a few days ago within about 50 yards of where that picture was taken in 03. He likes to wander within a couple hundred yard area during the summer. Twards the end of September he meanders out of the drainage a bit and on the face of the mountain. I know where he eats, where he sleeps, where he drinks, where he pees......Like I said I have been watching him for 3 seasons learning all I can about these bulls waiting for the right opprotunity. I will be using my custom 300 RUM. 200 grain ACCUBONDS at 3160 FPS. The shot will be 400-600 yards. I am VERY anquious to see how this load will perform on a critter that big that far.

I believe the shot will go like this:

Crosshairs quartering the chest... boooom.... whaack.. moose stands very still, no movement from the bull but maybe some frost from an exhaled breath of ai. Another round in the chamber and it's on it's way to the chest again... whaaack............. bull backsteps a half step.... his forelegs buckle a little and he and falls to the ground. Far off another hunter who's been listening to the shots hears a faint "YeeeeHaaa" and thinks to himself "Aboot time!! ... Hopefully he's gonna be busy for a while so maybe now it'll quiet down some!"

Good luck! I lived just outside of Fairbanks from 1989 to 1994. I miss it bady. As it turned out, all my hunting was by bow. I hunted along the archery only zone of the haul road, before it was opened to the public. I got four large bull caribou up by Deadhorse(worst tasting game animals I ever ate), three black bears just north of the Yukon River bridge(over bait), and a sheep near Attigun pass. Never got a moose, but came really close a few times.

I hunted moose on the south side of the Brooks range, not to far from Coldfoot. I can't describe the excitement of having an enraged 50"+ bull moose 40 yards away responding to my antler rattling. Steam coming from his nostrils, ears laid back, the hair on his neck standing straight up and his little beady red eyes searching for me. Just didn't quite have a clear shot (maybe that was a good thing). I went through that four or five times and something always kept me from having a good shot with my bow. All would have been easy with a rifle.

Are the bulls going to be in rut where you are hunting. It seems to be an early season, as I remember moose season always started September 1st, and up by the Brooks Range they were in full rut by then. I can't describe how much fun it is to call a moose in.

Anyway, best of luck. I wish I could go with you.

Wow! Seems like you had quite a bit of success as a bowhunter up here. I can only dream of harvesting a sheep with my archery tackle. Only have harvested 1 bull elk with an arrow. No the bulls will not be rutting. In fact around here (Anchorage, Mat-Valley) they are still in full velvet. They shure taste good when in velvet. This is good for my hunt because as long as these bulls are in summer mode they will stay put (at least according to their habbits the last 2 seasons.) Once they start to rutt they move around a bit onto more inhospitable hill sides.

Thanks Dave, that scenario sure put very real pictures in my head. That is one of the first stepps to success. It has to be real to you. "Its not if, but when."

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.