are vortex pst 6x24 clear at max power

Thats why I posted 4sale ad on nikon. At 1000yd I had to zoom down cause of mirage and forgot to bring cheat sheet of new POI. That's why FFP is very important to me..I ll wait for new scope and get reviews

I only hope as you move forward with your long range shooting, that one day you get to shoot behind a quality SFP scope and compare for yourself the ACTUAL difference between SFP and FFP.

I have, and I only shoot SFP's for ALL my long range, and especially ELR hunting and shooting needs. The reticle calibration on all powers debate is way over rated in my opinion. In fact I will even say there is plenty of border line BS on the subject.

If you can not see the reticle subtensions at all powers what good are they? Let alone the entire reticle is small on lower magnifications. With a PST 24X FFP you need to take one out side and set it anywhere on the lower 1/2 of the magnification scale and look for yourself. Try not to laugh.:)

Then do the same on lowest setting with the same PST FFP scope, and do it in lower than perfect lighting. Now do the same with the PST SFP and tell me which one you choose to use in a timber trying to get quick acquisition on a deer.

Now will come the patented FFP supportive reply " you can turn on the illuminated reticle" Ok .... do that. But keep a hand on the illumination knob because it will create quite a red glare in real life hunting conditions. So start turning it down until you can at least kinda make out the reticle to a degree. But while you were doing this where did that 180" white tail buck go???? I shot him with a SFP.:)

I only post this to encourage you to take the challenge and look at both as I described for yourself. Then you decide. It might save you some heart ache and a few hundred $$ too.

Jeff

This is what I was referring to regarding the zoom ring. Instead of a continuous scale, there are just the little "islands" marked with specific magnifications and there are few of them in the upper part of the magnification range. I think this is a strategic mistake on the part of Vortex when applied to the SFP scopes.

I just checked the 6-24 again and the markings go up to 12x then the next is 24x.. There should definitely have been an 18x since that is a very useable magnification and would be 3moa/hash mark instead of 2MOA at 24x or 4MOA at 12x. 12x is a very big step down, 18x is always useable here in MI in winter. Vortex, hope you are listening !
vortex_viper_pst_6-24x50_d.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, some serious thinking here. I totally understand you Broz. Its not easy making this choice.

Also West, am glad you posted picture on dial magnification.

PST SFP scopes ate 1 MOA at 24x

PST FFP scopes ARE ONLY 2 MOA at 24x

This is why I use SFP more granularity in ranging and windage. Also, when set to 12x the SFP is moe 2 MOA. I really think the SFP is more useable for ranging and wind holdoff.

Barrelnut, so what do you do if 24x is not useable ? If one buys the 4-16x50 then one can be sure that 16x will be useable under most conditions. But to buy the 6-24 and have to drop down to 12x if 24x is not useable is a bit unreasonable.

I know Broz position on FFP scopes and he will point out how silly it is at 4x and 6x, yet he will freely admit that he shoots at the highest magnification possible. In this scenario, with this scope, where 24x is not useable, I can drop down to 22x or 20x on the FFPand not have to care about what the exact magnification is. Someone who buys a SFP version of this scope is going to have to set up a calibrated target and find the position on the dial that corresponds to 18x and make himself a mark on the focus ring (or glue on a pointer) so that he knows where 18x is at so that he has an intermediate magnification point that he can use.

He has also expressed his opinion that the FFP reticle is too thick, so all I can suggest to the OP is to look at some realistic targets under field conditions and determine whether you too think that the reticle is too thick. Right now my 6-24 is on loan to a friend who is building a 6.5x47 Lapua rifle and he has not decided on a scope, so I am letting him try the FFP to see if he likes it. Some things you have to try before you buy or try and sell if it does not work out. I just know that I have only met a few people at the range who had a FFP scope, so most people have not experienced using them.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the OP needs to take all the internet advice with a pinch of salt... Remember, if you tend to shoot at max magnification, the main difference between FFP and SFP is how the reticle looks and how you handle situations where you cannot use Max magnification. My personal recommendation would be that you go with the 4-16x50 in whichever configuration you like, since there will be few circumstances where 16x cannot be used for a long shot. I would not recommend the 6-24 for use above about 20x magnification unless you have enough time to get settled in and atmospherics support that level of magnification.

Looks like Vortex has an additional reticle to address some of the historical criticisms.
0.1min lines, 0.25MOA open center. Its a busier reticle, but not as fat as the original.
sub_pst_f_6-24x50_ebr2c_moa-t.jpg

Looks like Vortex has an additional reticle to address some of the historical criticisms.
0.1min lines, 0.25MOA open center. Its a busier reticle, but not as fat as the original.
sub_pst_f_6-24x50_ebr2c_moa-t.jpg

Wow and it has .5 MOA granularity at the outer edges for ranging and such. Might have to give that one a look next time.:cool: Thanks for posting that.

My Viper PST 4-16x50 is NOT nearly as clear at max power as at other powers. Nor is it as clear as my Monarch 4-16x50 at max power. Turrets are much better, and adjustments are more trustworthy, though.

Wow and it has .5 MOA granularity at the outer edges for ranging and such. Might have to give that one a look next time.:cool: Thanks for posting that.

Barrelnut, thats what am waiting for. Midway has it on arrival for same price 949. Www.swfa has them but I rather buy from midway. Cabelas seem not to carry much online. ... the most important issues is if glass edge is blacken

Barrelnut, thats what am waiting for. Midway has it on arrival for same price 949. Www.swfa has them but I rather buy from midway. Cabelas seem not to carry much online. ... the most important issues is if glass edge is blacken

For 949 you might checkout Nightforces new SHV scope and see if there is somethin there that suits yourfancy........they can be had this year for about the same money.

I got on the mailing list of the folks at cameralandny.com and I was able to get my 6-24x50FFP for $830. It had been unboxed as a demo at a show, never mounted.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.