Vortex viper pst ffp 6x24

timmyatnop

Thinking about a vortex ffp 6x24,scope to put on my long range rifle.When i first sight my rifles in i shoot at a plastic tack that i push in cardboard ,this distance is at 100 yard to see what kind of group i can get with my berger bullets. . I read that these cross hairs get larger with more magnification,do u guys know if i could even see the tack at 100 yards or would my crosshairs cover it completely?.At 24 power of course. Called vortex and the guy said he thought the crosshairs would cover 1/tenth of an inch ,but he wasn't for sure ,well when he wasn't for sure ,I though mabey i need to do some more reasearch on this. Do any of you know my if they would cover the tack competely? THANKS A BUNCH TIMMY>

since its a FFP scope the reticle will subtend the same through out the power range. all you need to know is how much the thin crosshairs subtend, there should be specs on that. for instance leupold sent me a sheet on the varmint hunter reticle, the subtension on it is .13moa so it would cover .13x.13 at 100 yards.

The reticle in this scope is 0.144" thick at 100 yds, so at an intersection it will cover a round target up to 0.2" diameter.

So how big is the head of the tack?

The reticle in this scope is 0.144" thick at 100 yds, so at an intersection it will cover a round target up to 0.2" diameter.

So how big is the head of the tack?

.2" is smaller than a .224 bullet hole which is smaller than your .25" tack.

Is that fine enough for you Timmy?

"Aim small miss small", :D

joseph

I have two of these scopes one is on a Savage Model 12 Left Bolt Right Port .223 and the other on a Model 12 Left Bolt Right Port, Brux barrel, and chambered for 6.5x47 Lapua. I have been shooting 200, 300, and 600 yards at the new CMP Marksmanship park range. Both rifles shoot consistently under ½ minute and I now have numerous groups under a ¼ minute at all ranges.

The FFP reticle is a great help with wind hold off. The rifle and scope combinations have given me a high level of confidence in what they can do.

To put this all in perspective, I had shot a lot up to 1976 and then life intervened and I have taken a vacation from bench rest shooting. Since starting back last fall I have fired about 400 rounds from the bench and I am shooting better than ever.

If I were to buy another scope, it would be a Vortex. Ed, Alabama :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.