Are the Eld x bullets that bad

I like the ELDx line. Shot a lot of hogs whitetail and a big mule deer with the 7mm REM mag 162 ELDx. Ran them at 2950. Farthest shot was 325. I ain't recovered one yet. Used the 143 in a 6.5 prc and a AR platform 6.5 creed, none ever recovered. All animals recovered that I've shot and my son and nieces and nephews I've taken while with me. I don't have any reservations about using them. Rolling with the 178 this year in my
300 wsm for my elk hunt. Will report results if I get one.

I've shot exactly one younger whitetail buck using the 162 ELDX in my 7mm RSAUM.

72 yard shot, impacting on the near side shoulder, with a caliber diameter entrance hole, exiting off side shoulder with a quarter size exit hole. No bullet to recover.

Muzzle velocity was 2803 fps (17.5" barrel XP-100), with impact velocity of ~2700 fps.

Buck never took a step.

This bullet has been accurate in this gun with right at 1/2 MOA.

Shot one Elk with a 200gr ELD-X at 200 yds. It did not take a step. Shot 2 pronghorns with 143 gr ELD-X last year. Both lung shots. Both fell over sideways right there. Did not run at all. I don't think these are bullets you want to try to break shoulders with. The target below is 5 shots with my 200 gr ELDX 300 WM load at 100 yds.

Attachments

• 73-3_RL26.jpg
    73-3_RL26.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 198
So are the 162 grain Eld x bullets that bad? Sure see slot of negative comments about them.
Well…. I won't use them again .
I shot a cow elk a few years back and I had to shoot it 3 times before it expired . Let's not get into placement of shot here . The first shot was low . The second shot got one lung albeit it was a broadside shot . The third shot ricocheted off of a rib and hit the spine . Back at camp when we took off the hide two bullets were found . Both the second and third bullets. The penetration was lousy and I had complete separation. Never again for me ! Not going to get into the ethical parts here . But for me I want something that drives all the way through with velocity and terminal drive . What was the distance ? It was around 350 yards .

Just my .02 cents

I have taken mule deer and whitetails with the 143gr. Eldx bullets using the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6.5 prc with devastating effects. No issues. So far all have been taken with DRT results. Distance has been from 50yds to 200yds. I've been reloading Hornady bullets since 1972 and have nothing but good things to say. Never had an issue. Lots of good bullets out there and Hornady has always worked for me. So for me, I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I have zero negetive to say about them. 30+ kills from 50-900 all dead in their tracks. Shoot great in most all my rifle and perform well. Affordable compared to many as well. I will shoot them until I can't shoot lead anymore.

Adam
I know same here, I run 143 gr, and they fall where they stand usually, or only got a short walk, partner likes the ELD-M for hunting, and likes them, I rather stay with the X ones.

I shoot 143 gr ELDX out of my Seekins 6.5 Creedmoor. I have experienced great accuracy and dependable kills. I load 147 gr ELDM for my Ruger Precision range rifle and they are also extremely accurate. Have not used them in other rifles but they are great in my Creedmoors. Shot this antelope with one and it never took a step.

Attachments

• IMG_3775.jpeg
    IMG_3775.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3793.jpeg
    IMG_3793.jpeg
    802.8 KB · Views: 138
Well…. I won't use them again .
I shot a cow elk a few years back and I had to shoot it 3 times before it expired . Let's not get into placement of shot here . The first shot was low . The second shot got one lung albeit it was a broadside shot . The third shot ricocheted off of a rib and hit the spine . Back at camp when we took off the hide two bullets were found . Both the second and third bullets. The penetration was lousy and I had complete separation. Never again for me ! Not going to get into the ethical parts here . But for me I want something that drives all the way through with velocity and terminal drive . What was the distance ? It was around 350 yards .

Just my .02 cents
"Let's not get into placement of shot", proceeds to describe poor shot placement leading to issues.

...here's a recovered one from an elk. Worked .View attachment 476934

Looks just like the 178 ELD-X I found in the big-bodied bear that measured just shy of 6' from tip to tail that I took this spring. The shot I had was a quartering away shot at a little over 100 yards and the bullet entered a few inches behind the last rib and was found on the leather just behind the shoulder. The bear went about 20 yards and was dead when we came upon it.

Does the bullet work, well it worked for me. Using the ELD-X I would not have tried to break out the shoulders like I have when shooting solid coppers out of my 375 Ruger but that still leaves a lot of shots available to the hunter.