Are the Eld x bullets that bad

I too, experienced that! A broadside (behind the shoulder) shot on a spike bull elk at about 70 yards. A very quick, decisive kill with no exit and bullet beneath the offside hide……while the elk very quickly expired, I considered this an absolute fail with my cartridge/bullet. I could forgive a recovered bullet on a lengthwise shot on an adult elk….but, not on a broadside shot with the only bone encountered was a rib! I expect…….no demand, more from my bullet than that!

I guess that's what makes the world go round…..we all have different expectations! 😉 memtb
When we as hunters choose a bullet in a complete cartridge or a component to hand load, we get to choose the characteristics that we want.

If complete pass through is a high priority to the hunter, they should never choose a cup and core, but rather a monolithic or bonded bullet. But then there is a risk for penciling with minimum wound channel and decreased tissue damage.

My bullet characteristic priorities for medium to light skinned animals is rapid death. So I choose cup and core to maximize internal damage. I understand that I may not get an exit hole, and I need to stay off the shoulder bone at closer range (higher impact velocities).

I know you understand this, and you prioritize having an exit wound. But I'm writing this hopefully for some other readers who may not fully understand the different bullet types and their terminal performance characteristics.

I'm merely many of you folks a large ration of "stuff", if you use the bullet within it's capabilities and are happy with it's performance ….."bully" for you!

I just wanted to emphasize that they have some limitations (as with all bullets, even my preferred bullet) that would be shooters/hunters should consider! 😉 memtb

So are the 162 grain Eld x bullets that bad? Sure see slot of negative comments about them.
My 6.5 PRC Really liked the better than the 147 ELD Match.
Depending on your barrel twist you may want to try 153 A-Tips.I had best luck with those kn Target and Hunting.It knocked. A huge exit hole on the Antelope at 980 yards

If complete pass through is a high priority to the hunter, they should never choose a cup and core, but rather a monolithic or bonded bullet. But then there is a risk for penciling with minimum wound channel and decreased tissue damage.
I expected pass through with the Bondstrike but not one did. I suspect they are more like the ABLR vs. the Scirocco which have always exited for me.

After seeing the 147 and 143 on African game I'm moving to them for everything.

Not 162 ELD-X but 200 ELD-X out of his 300 WM. My hunting buddy shot a very nice bull elk and almost lost it. He put 2 rounds through the lungs at 400Y+. The bull managed to run back into the timber over a 1000Y; that is correct. Four of us looked for over an hour to no avail. Another hunter above us was watching and nice enough to tell us where the bull had expired. There was a spec of blood 5Y yards where he passed. We found 2 tiny holes in the lungs without a pass-through, and the bullet did not expand. He also shot a muley buck at 200Y and was able to run 400Y; the same result as his elk, no expansion.

He was using factory ammo. He sent the remaining box to Hornady, and they did not find anything wrong with them. My buddy stopped using them. I have over 300 .30 cal ELD-X that I hesitate to use on a game after his experience. The bottom line is that we all have varying experiences and need to know which is best suited for our intended purpose. Some people here and elsewhere have a better experience with the M over the X.

Good luck!
FEENIX - while your experience is likely as true as you presented it, it IS or CAN be expected. I have always been amazed at wildlife's will to live. I've shot deer before - nailed them thru the heart - yet, they run for 100's of yards - up and down hills, across deep draws, back and forth. When they drop, they drop hard. They give it all they have in order to survive. Yes, I use the ELD-X in my 6.5 - 143 gr. And yes, it does the job. I've never had any material separation. For the slugs I find in the carcass, they're always mushroomed and intact just as they're designed to do. I've never had one that I found NOT expand.