• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED APS 338 Ultra Maxx for sale, very rare!!

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Well guys, have a very rare item that a customer brought in that he wants to sell. This rifle is one that I built for him a couple years ago and he really just did not get the chance to use it much. He says there are only around 100-110 rounds down the the barrel so lots of life left in this rifle. This is a rare rifle because there are only two in existance. There have only been three 338 Ultra Maxx rifles ever fired. One for the original customer that asked for this wildcat to be made, this rifle that is for sale and my test rifle. My test rifle has sense been rebarreled and is no longer in use.

Most have NO IDEA what this chambering is so I will offer a bit of background on it. The 338 Ultra Maxx was designed when a customer of mine asked if it would be possible to take the 270 Allen Magnum and neck it up to 338 caliber. The reasoning was to offer MAX capacity on the RUM parent case.

Because the shoulder location is the same as the 270 Allen Magnum, its moved significantly farther forward then that of the 338 Edge and also the shoulder angle is sharpened and case body taper decreased for max capacity on this RUM case.

The result is a case that has roughly the same case capacity as the 338 Lapua Improved or my 338 ALLEN XPRESS but without the need to use a Lapua class receiver to house it.

Easiest way to form brass is to purchase 375 RUM brass and run it through a properly set up 338 Ultra Maxx FL die to neck the case down to 338 and also position the shoulder in the correct location for fireforming. Then a standard 338 Edge load is used to fireform the case.

You can also use the 300 RUM case but it needs to be necked up to at least 35 caliber and then necked back down in the 338 Ultra Maxx case to reposition shoulder for fireforming.

Here are the specs of this rifle that is for sale:

Savage M110 chrome moly receiver
Fully accurized receiver
Holland Comp recoil lug
Lilja 30", #8 contour, SS, 1-10 twist, 30" finish length
Large barrel flutes
Medium Painkiller muzzle brake
Rifles Basix Match trigger set at 1 lb
Laminates wood stock, black and yellow pattern
Pic rail base
Black Duracoat finish (coated by seller)
Custom Hornady 338 Ultra Maxx loading die set

SCOPE, RINGS and BIPOD NOT INCLUDED IN PACKAGE

New price if ordered right now would be $3500 + shipping.

Customer is asking $2650 shipped to your FFL.

Here are some pics of the rifle.

DSC00318_zps1bea80f2.jpg

DSC00317_zpse6fc66fd.jpg

DSC00316_zpsb5393322.jpg

DSC00315_zps7174ddfb.jpg

The seller said he was getting nearly 3100 fps with the 300 gr Berger but that was using Federal brass. After I got the rifle back and before listing it I took it to the range to see what it would do. With Remington brass I was able to reach a comfortable 2950 fps using Retumbo and the 300 gr Berger. I personally feel this should be considered a top load with this rifle and one would get even better brass life in the 2900-2925 fps range.

The rifle was retested at 1000 yards and proved itself to be a very accurate and consistant rifle with this load.

Again, seller is asking $2650 shipped to your FFL holder. He said he would consider realistic offers and possible some partial trades but needed 50% cash on any trade.

Wow, what a looker!!!! The rig w/that stock on that rock is a great pic composition.

If its worth anything, I vouch for the craftsmanship that went into that rig. If one wants to be a serious LR hunter this is the rig.

I have a neighbor that has more rifles than he can count and some he hasn't even found in several years. He wanted to go to the first Townsend MT shoot with me later this month.

He said he wouldn't go unless he could get at least one of his rifles shooting 1 MOA or less. He's spent nearly $200.00 in primers/powder and bullets and gave up. I'll be traveling to Townsend alone.

I only have 3 of what could be called LR or ELR rifles.Two are Kirby built. The other, I cobbled together with local smith assistance and lucked out. All three are ready to go anywhere, any time @ a moments notice.

Powder/primer/brass/bullet expenses have been minimum though the initial investment in 375 ready to go Allen Magnum brass made me swallow hard. I only had to do it once and will last a couple of life times.

This rifle is one of those deals, if passed buy some one who 'wants' one of its capability will live in regret for not jumping on it. Plus, no wait!!! what's that worth. :D

Roy, I agree 100% with you. This is the chance of a lifetime and if I didn't have a project in the completion phase with Kirby I would be all over this. Kirby is one great rifle artist and the buyer will be very happy with this rifle. I cannot believe it has remained for sale this long!!!!!