Applied Ballistics and Berger on top at The King of 2 Miles!!

Here is a picture of the case. From left to right, .338 Lapua, .375 Chey-Tac, .375 Lethal Magnum.

Attachments

• IMG_20160704_165946.jpg
    IMG_20160704_165946.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 155
She's a beast for sure! Sucks that there isn't a good powder yet to utilize more of its potential...

That's only part of the problem though. You can't just always go to a slower powder, even if one is available. Even the way it sits now a lot of loads don't get 100% burn, so going to a slower powder won't gain you a whole lot. If the sun has set, you would not believe how much fire comes out of the brake. Obviously a longer barrel would help with that but who wants to lug around a rifle with a 36-38" barrel. My current platform only weighs 18 pounds and is actually very portable for its performance.

Like I said, there is more to it then just coming up with chamber dimensions, getting a slower powder, etc. The conventional idea of wildcatting and always going bigger only gets you so far, sometimes you have come up with new stuff to keep pushing the envelope.

Yes sir, that is true, and I agree that is very portable for the performance level! Going to take time but I'm sure you guys can work the gremlins out. As always, fantastic job to you and all the guys involved, and congratulations on the win!

Thanks for jumping in here Mitch!! Awesome win! Congrats. Your 375 lethal magnum has certain proven itself to be lethal. Have you tried any other bullet other than the Berger or was this cartridge designed especially for the Berger Prototype?

The .375 Lethal Magnum is the round I developed at Lethal Precision Arms LLC along side the development of this bullet. The idea was to destroy everything else as far as Ballistics go. And we are definitely getting there. My rifle has a 32" barrel and I am pushing these prototype bullets as fast as 3100 FPS so far. You do the math, G7 of .560, 3100 FPS, 400 grain bullet... This thing works wonders down range, that is for sure.

I can tell you guys with certainty that the down range velocities were impressive. For the 2 mile target I was observing impacts from 2500 yards downrange and they were clearly supersonic well passed me. It is hard to judge with great certainty but I'd say they were supersonic for at least half a second after passing me. Of the 5 shooters that took shots at the 2 mile plate, Mitch's shots were clearly supersonic for the longest and he had the closest first shot miss of the lot and the second closest miss overall. 3/5 of the shots went subsonic either behind or over me and most of those never got close enough for me to see an impact.

-Alex

I can tell you guys with certainty that the down range velocities were impressive. For the 2 mile target I was observing impacts from 2500 yards downrange and they were clearly supersonic well passed me. It is hard to judge with great certainty but I'd say they were supersonic for at least half a second after passing me. Of the 5 shooters that took shots at the 2 mile plate, Mitch's shots were clearly supersonic for the longest and he had the closest first shot miss of the lot and the second closest miss overall. 3/5 of the shots went subsonic either behind or over me and most of those never got close enough for me to see an impact.

-Alex

Thanks for sharing this Alex. Just to clarify, did you mean 3/5 shooter's shots were going sub going at or behind you?

Spotting impacts there from the firing line was near impossible, I think if we could have seen the impacts better from the firing line would have been very close to if not actually hitting the 2 mile target. We really appreciated the spotting though for getting everyone as close as you did!

Thanks for sharing this Alex. Just to clarify, did you mean 3/5 shooter's shots were going sub going at or behind you?

Spotting impacts there from the firing line was near impossible, I think if we could have seen the impacts better from the firing line would have been very close to if not actually hitting the 2 mile target. We really appreciated the spotting though for getting everyone as close as you did!

Right. 3/5ths were either clearly dropping into subsonic velocities either behind me or more or less over my head. Really, off to my right about 100 yards and something like 400 feet above me though.

Spotting looking up at that angle was strange and I wonder how good my vertical correction calls were. I also think that some shots may have been passed my LOS beside the target. I think we will drop that target down the scree a ways to resolve that next year though.

I was curious about one thing. What was the wind doing while you were shooting? Every shot seemed to be further and further left of target despite what I assume was increasing hold off on your part. How much hold off did you end with and how fast was the wind to end up with impacts over 30 feet left of target?

-Alex

Thanks for jumping in here Mitch!! Awesome win! Congrats. Your 375 lethal magnum has certain proven itself to be lethal. Have you tried any other bullet other than the Berger or was this cartridge designed especially for the Berger Prototype?

Not a problem, thank you for starting the thread!

I will be testing the lighter Cutting edge offerings in the very near future. Right now with current technology, 400 grain bullets are really the top end for this cartridge and I suspect with 350 grain bullets this cartridge will really pull way from the cheytac improved offerings. That is until we get things really cranking with new stuff.

Right. 3/5ths were either clearly dropping into subsonic velocities either behind me or more or less over my head. Really, off to my right about 100 yards and something like 400 feet above me though.
-Alex

It occurred to me that and audio recording could be used to determine the transition point within reason. The peak from the crack should be the closest point and then the time that the crack continues afterwards could be used with the trajectory geometry to determine the transition point. Due to the Haas Effect, the ear is pretty bad at judging that kind of thing but a recording would pin point it easily enough. You are never going to get a round over a chrono at those ranges and short of doplar, this is probably the cheapest way to get long range velocity info. I'll try and get directly in line next year and take a shot at the math.

-Alex

It occurred to me that and audio recording could be used to determine the transition point within reason. The peak from the crack should be the closest point and then the time that the crack continues afterwards could be used with the trajectory geometry to determine the transition point. Due to the Haas Effect, the ear is pretty bad at judging that kind of thing but a recording would pin point it easily enough. You are never going to get a round over a chrono at those ranges and short of doplar, this is probably the cheapest way to get long range velocity info. I'll try and get directly in line next year and take a shot at the math.

-Alex

Alex, we get long range time of flight data regularly using microphones and FM transmitters, etc. Because of this, we have phenomenal custom drag curves and/or BC values. So if we know our muzzle velocity, we can pretty much pinpoint where that transition is happening just using a ballistics software. If that drop matches, which ours obviously did out past 2500 yards, then that calculation is more than likely very accurate.

My point is that I don't think it would be worth the effort of running the math, unless you just really want too.:D

Re: Applied Ballistics and Berger on top at The King of 2 Miles!!di

Mitch,

Can you give any specifics about your 375 Lethal Magnum? Parent case, dimensions, case capacity etc? According to the picture it looks heavy duty!!

Did I not read somewhere that these guys put their "first" two shots on target @ 2250?

That's a bunch more awsomer than placing as they did. Not really but major impressive.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.