Apex Outdoors - 30 Cal Afterburners Now In Stock!

mcdil

Hello everyone!

After 2+ years in development, we are excited to release our flagship Afterburners in 30 cal, just in time for hunting season! Actual BCs have been posted for all three available sizes, with the final production versions proving slightly more slippery than our prototype bullets. For those unfamiliar with the Afterburner, it is a "no compromises", lead-free bullet that performs flawlessly at close range, high velocity impacts on large animals as well as at low velocity impacts of 1650 fps with BCs that few other bullets rival for fantastic performance at extended ranges.

Come check them out! Our .264, .277, and .284 sizes will be next!

30 Cal Afterburners.png

Congrats, Mark! Those look awesome. I can't wait to see how they do. So am I right in thinking it looks like they utilize a bore rider, or at least partial one?

Also, for those unfamiliar, these are designed to shed petals, correct? They appear to leave a shank behind that isn't flat, but rather has a bit of a point almost, right?

Yes, the bore riding feature is part of our patent pending geometry and what keeps the bullet aligned with the bore while significantly reducing friction.

As far as the terminal appearance, we usually do have a flat front with shed petals, and you cannot drive them too fast. The faster, the better the performance, and the deeper the penetration. As the velocity drops into the lower registers near our extreme minimum (1650 fps), the front gets a little "chippy" with larger petals. This is a function of material that allows frontal fracture when fired at lower velocities. Our minimum recommended impact velocity is at a point that expansion is still very early, all petals separate with consistency, and the base stays straight for the predominance of its travel. It may or may not dip at the very end of its travel, really depending on the medium that its shot into. In wet newsprint, it stays perfectly straight, and penetration is good. Remember, the petals are very large in this scenario and do a lot of damage themselves. This ensures shots at extended ranges on typically broadside animals still see exemplary performance. To reiterate, this is our minimum recommendation, and is very low for a mono-metal bullet. Below are pictures of two recovered shanks fired on the same day showing the two extremes.

1690 fps Impact.jpg
2950 fps Impact.jpg

That's awesome and I'm glad you are up and running and wish you the best, are you machining in house or farming it out?
Thanks, ButterBean. We do not have in-house capability at this time and spent over a year finding the perfect partner, one of the giant hurdles in getting Apex Outdoors going, no doubt. I really can't call it a "farm out" as that would imply a more traditional supplier/customer relationship. We are very close, and every little nuance that they see or I see, we discuss how to tackle it moving forward, and then execute on that plan in short order. I've spent the better part of this year developing their manufacturing capability to meet my stringent requirements as they pertain to bullets. The advantage of this scenario is they're a stable, diversified, ISO shop with deep roots in highly technical medical instruments.

Thanks, ButterBean. We do not have in-house capability at this time and spent over a year finding the perfect partner, one of the giant hurdles in getting Apex Outdoors going, no doubt. I really can't call it a "farm out" as that would imply a more traditional supplier/customer relationship. We are very close, and every little nuance that they see or I see, we discuss how to tackle it moving forward, and then execute on that plan in short order. I've spent the better part of this year developing their manufacturing capability to meet my stringent requirements as they pertain to bullets. The advantage of this scenario is they're a stable, diversified, ISO shop with deep roots in highly technical medical instruments.
Good deal

The advantage of this scenario is they're a stable, diversified, ISO shop with deep roots in highly technical medical instruments.
Mark,

Good on you, and congrats! There is nothing wrong with competitive sourcing. As you already figured out, in-house capital equipment for any start-up company, regardless of size, is a significant investment. It takes a long time to get your return on investment, especially in today's business environment of volatility, uncertainty, complexity, and ambiguity. Good luck to your company and your partnership.

Ed