anyone using the Ruger KM77VT MKII target bolt action?

jonado

I have always admired the ruger target rifle with the greyish hardware and laminated stock. how accurate are these? experiences?

My go-to prairie dog gun is a RugerVT in 223 that was recrowned and chambered(shortened thoat for 40 grainers)when it was new.It now has over 6000 rounds threw it and still shoots 55 grainers OK.Longest kill was a dog @ 765yards many years ago and it still is reliableto 400 today.
That being said I baught a Ruger VTLE in 308 that just plain wouldnt shoot.Tryed everthing and failed to get it to shoot=traded it to a guy that claimed he would figure it out.After a different stock he now figures it needs adifferent barrel????
Some help ha??Rugers are great looking guns and tuff as they come but not usualy bench rest guns.

I have one in 22-250 and it shoots around 1/2" at 100 yards with 55gr Ballistic Tips and Varget. Other bullets are not as good. Low recoil, looks great, handles great, good price, I love it.
I had a M77 in 270 that I could only get 1" with a 90gr HP, so it had to go. Some Rugers shoot, some do not. The ones that do not always turn out to be the barrel.

Regards,
Tom

I have played with 3 of these, each in different calibers, each had a pet load that would shoot 1/4" at 100 yards if you did your part. My cousin has the .223, he uses 40g btips. First load worked up shot .25". My dad has a 22-250. Shoots 40g btips at 4100fps into .3". Shoots 52g SMK's into .25" as well. I had a .220 swift about 6 months ago and it shot under .5" with every bullet I fed it. ANything from 40g VLC barnes at 4450fps to 55g btips at 3925fps. All of them are very accurate, and were not fussy whatsoever with load development. I would love to have one in a .243 or a 25-06.

I'm using one in 25-06 that shoots 1/4" 5-shot groups @ 100yd all day if you do your part. I'm pushing 115gr VLD's to just over 3200fps with no signs of pressure using RL22 in fed. cases. Have used 100 and 115 Noslers in the past with near equal performance but after using the VLD's in 30 cal. on deer I decided to try them in 25. I've only used them on grounhogs so far out to 512yd with devastating results The key is not to over-torque the action screws, front one at 30in/lb, rear at 20in/lb, and 10in/lb on the middle triggerguard screw. All my other long range precision rifles are built on Rem. actions so I was a little reluctant to buy the Ruger but I can honestly say I will never part with it, and I absolutely love the target trigger, have mine set at about 24oz. Maybe I got a good one.
I have shot this load at 1,000yd with a 5-shot group measuring 7.5", my buddy with his benchrest gun had a hard time accepting that.

I have a 7mm Rem built on that action. 28" Pac-Nor barrel 1:9, factory stock, Leupold VX-III 6.5-20 x 40. usually shoots 1/4 ", have shot .153" at 100 yds. Have shot 5" groups at 700 yds from a bipod in the prone, that's with 180 gr Bergers at 3000 fps.

I wonder if that trigger will work in a standard M77MKII action? I have one in 300WM, and while it shoots great, a better trigger would likely make it incredible, right now, on a good day, if I do my part, it will easily shoot 2 1/2" at 300 yards, with Remington Cor-Lokt 180gr bullets and IMR 7828SSC powder.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.