Anyone using the 178 Amax in a 300WM?

Hard to say since I didn't fire the 300wm before I had it installed. I will say that my 300wm kicks me less than most of my rifles in 30-06 or 308 class. Maybe kicks just slightly more than my 260rem but that rifle is at about 15lbs. I can fire 50rds or better and be quite comfortable bench or prone. Most of the the time I can still spot my own shots. I do develop quite a headache after a while though and whoever is around that wasn't aware the 300 was about to go off figures it out real fast. May have to start yelling to ensure the blast area is clear. gun)

As for the Shilen barrel it cleans up real fast. I usually hit it with some sweets 7.62 on a nylon brush then run maybe 2 patches with hoppes 9 and a couple dry before I get nearly spotless. I have yet to see much if any copper coming out the barrel and it has right at 100rds down the tube. My other Shilen on the 260 is the same and that rifle will post .107" groups with some berger loads I did up. I have very high hopes for the 300wm when I get the time and conditions to put it on paper again.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.