Anyone tried Bergers Test for VLD seating depth?

Try the Berger test first with a safe powder charge. You will most likely find at least 2 nodes where the groups tighten up. Pick the node that works best for your magazine and then start your powder test. You can probably still tweak seating depth a bit once you have your powder charge, but the adjustment will be much finer at this point.

I believe that you can make most any powder charge work by finding the seating depth that works best with it. The problem with this scenario is that if you seating is not near perfect then it goes out of tune. If you find the seating depth first then tune your powder charge you wind up on a more forgiving node. At least that has been my experience.

When I'm starting load development I'll start with a low charge. Load up some 3 shot groups starting at .015" off the landes or mag length which ever is shorter and seat each group deeper by .030".

Which ever shot best I'll use that seating depth for my load work. I shoot a ladder over my chrono ( I use magneto speed, must have an accurate chrono for this!) target dosent matter. Look for my upper flat spot near max. Then I'll load up 5 shot groups and fine tune my seating depth in .005" increments.

If you don't have a magneto speed or labradar then you could do 3 shot ladder test at 300 yards.

This is my method that's worked well for me. Yrmv

This was a seating depth test at 600 yards. With a 6.5ss 142gr smk and n565 .005 off the lands in white , .015 in purple, .030 in green...
I clearly didnt do the entire test but didnt feel like i needed too..

Attachments

• 20190814_115627.jpg
    20190814_115627.jpg
    589.2 KB · Views: 115
Yes, I have successfully used Berger seating test for several years and have landed on best performance with VLD's as much as .075" off the lands. Most fall in the .020" range. Whether I conduct the seating test initially, or as a final refinement depends on a few different factors(new barrel, new bullet, etc.). I have generally found that all testing can be successfully done at 100-200 yards if a solid velocity ladder is included....WITH long range confirmation as as final step.

Seems I remember the Berger seating depth method was a result of folks who couldn't get their VLD's to shoot well. Berger got reports back from customers telling them that, although most of the time, VLD's liked to be up close or jammed, they couldn't get them to shoot till they gave them a big jump. Hence the Berger Method. I use it often and it works.

I used it a couple of times with good results.

To my surprise, Berger 95 vld's in one of .243's like a 0.060" jump, so it's worth doing the test.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.