Anyone running the 325 WSM & 200 SMK for LRH?

efw

I just picked up a Savage Model 14 Classic in .325 WSM and am thinking I'd like to see what I can do with it as a longer range rifle. Near as I could tell, the most logical projectile to utilize would be the 200 SMK w/ a BC of .520 doing approx. 2900 fps from my 24" barrel w/ RL17.

Has anybody worked w/ this cartridge w/ LRH at all?

Although it isn't my "long range" rig. I have a Winchester M70 in .325WSM that is my go to rig for the majority of my hunting. My load is the 220gr Sierra and a max charge of H4350. It is no rocket, but it is very accurate in my rifle and will hold MOA out to the 500yards I've shot it. It has dropped numerous whitetails from 10 to 300 yard with little meat damage and has accounted for a moose and elk or two in the 300 yard range.

Not exactly what you are looking for as the .325WSM is'nt a traditional long range round, but it is capable.

Depends on your version of "Long range". I have a HS prohunter in 325, and have shot it out to 500 routinely. I have gone through a box of the 200gr mk, and had so-so results, I never found a load that could beat what my rifle does with the 200 accubond. I could not get groups under 3 inches at 300 yards with the mk, where the accubond will cut that in half. The rifle is my go-to gun for most hunting so the accubonds work well for me, and I have a 338 for really long stuff.

My rifle has a short throught and tight chamber so max book loads show pressure signs for me. My normal max is roughly 2gr under max book loads. I love the 325 but with the current selection of bullets I don't know if it will ever make much headway as a long range caliber.

I have a BLR in .325 that is an excellent truck gun for coyotes out to 500+ 200gr smk 68g imr4831 chrono 2870fps 22" barrel 5/8" 3 shot....

I shoot 200 NAB, out of my abolt 325, taken elk at 502 and son took one at 540 both bulls. I am working w/ rifle now trying to get a liitle more speed. I t only has 23'' barrel, shooting 2780.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.