Anyone own a Leupold VX-6 4-24x52?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Leupold VX-6 4-24x52 scope and although I'm sure the magnification is what I want I haven't had the best results or reliability with my Leupold scopes other than the Mark 4's.

Does anyone have one and if so what do you like and not like about it? There just don't seem to be very many objective reviews on them except for sports writers gushing about how wonderful they are. LOL

By the way... They can be had for a song on Gunbroker and you can negotiate the shipping to free if you're patient.

I've had a lightweight (not featherweight) 7SAUM built on a Remington action and it shoots lights out and I'm thinking I've finally settled on my long range hunting rifle for deer up to and including elk. I wanted a no compromise scope but the ATACR is just too heavy for this application and although I'm getting a little long in the tooth I'm in good shape and work out several times a week.

NOTE: Please no FFP scope suggestions. I absolutely can't stand them for hunting.
Take a look at the nightforce SHV or nxs. Should be around the same weight and price. I have several on larger bore magnums They stay zeroed.. Clear glass. Built like a tank

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Leupold VX-6 4-24x52 scope and although I'm sure the magnification is what I want I haven't had the best results or reliability with my Leupold scopes other than the Mark 4's.

Does anyone have one and if so what do you like and not like about it? There just don't seem to be very many objective reviews on them except for sports writers gushing about how wonderful they are. LOL

By the way... They can be had for a song on Gunbroker and you can negotiate the shipping to free if you're patient.

I've had a lightweight (not featherweight) 7SAUM built on a Remington action and it shoots lights out and I'm thinking I've finally settled on my long range hunting rifle for deer up to and including elk. I wanted a no compromise scope but the ATACR is just too heavy for this application and although I'm getting a little long in the tooth I'm in good shape and work out several times a week.

NOTE: Please no FFP scope suggestions. I absolutely can't stand them for hunting.
I have the 3-18 and the 4-24 and so far they have both performed well for me. That said I have heard too many horror stories of Leupolds not tracking well so I have them on rifles that I dont plan to dial elevation a lot. I put Nightforce and March scopes on all of my long range rifles.

Just put 2 of these on a customer's rifles and they both have to go back to the factory. They have nice glass and I love the turrets. But both track wrong. The clicks are very much greater than the 1/4 moa. I did a 4 inch box test and it was a 6 inch box. I did 8 and it was 12. He had the custom dial made and at 600 yards it shot 10 inches high. He didn't have time to send them back before a hunt so I made him a custom tape and range verified every yardage. It does track the same because you can go from 100 to 800 back to 100 and its right there. Leopold said they will fix the issue. Said the internal lens need adjusted. You think for 1800 bucks they would check this before they leave the factory. A CDS dial is crap if your scope doesn't really do the 1/4 clicks. Once corrected I think they will be great scopes. So if you have one and use the cds do yourself a favor and do a box test to see what your clicks are actually giving you.
Shep

Just put 2 of these on a customer's rifles and they both have to go back to the factory. They have nice glass and I love the turrets. But both track wrong. The clicks are very much greater than the 1/4 moa. I did a 4 inch box test and it was a 6 inch box. I did 8 and it was 12. He had the custom dial made and at 600 yards it shot 10 inches high. He didn't have time to send them back before a hunt so I made him a custom tape and range verified every yardage. It does track the same because you can go from 100 to 800 back to 100 and its right there. Leopold said they will fix the issue. Said the internal lens need adjusted. You think for 1800 bucks they would check this before they leave the factory. A CDS dial is crap if your scope doesn't really do the 1/4 clicks. Once corrected I think they will be great scopes. So if you have one and use the cds do yourself a favor and do a box test to see what your clicks are actually giving you.
Shep
Save the your money and go with a nighforce. Never had an issue. Hold up to 338 Lapua and have never had tracking issues or list zero.

I use 1st Focal Plane reticles B/C I'm used to them from competition. Leupold VX 5s and VX 6s have only 2nd focal plane. Plus I they have no reticles mil radian that are precise enough.

Currently I have an illuminated Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 on my6.5 PRC X-Bolt Pro but am looking at a Nightforce NX8 2.5 - 20 x 50 B/S it is the same 30 oz. weight as my Bushnell but a bit better quality and a full 2" shorter.

Eric B.

It's still in the box as I don't have a rifle ready to put it on. I have a VX5-HD that I'm taking to Wyoming shortly.
I've got a 3x18 42mm and love it. My rifle is a Blaser 300 Win and I was able to connect consistently at a 1000yd on a 24" steel plate (the first time I shot that distance)

I have one and just picked up a 3-18x44. The 4-24x50 tracks and moa clicks are perfect. Still like any Nightforce better even aSHV. Just got a new MX8 in4-32 on a 6.5 PRC Carbon and it is amazing! The leupolds are lighter and both will go on older ultra light sheep rifles I built years ago!

I ended up getting one of these and couldn't be happier, got another coming. I could never get my Leupold to track right.
https://www.rokslide.com/zeiss-conquest-v6-3-18x50-riflescope-review/
I've got the Zeiss V6 5-30 and had to send it back due to tracking issues. I just received a new one in the mail with no explanation of what exactly was wrong. Love the glass on it. Only reason I found out there was an issue was due to taking a long range shooting class. I was high on everything from 700-1060 yards. My former Marine sniper instructor decided to do a tall target test and found out it had a 6% error (on the high side). The Zeiss CS rep I dealt with via email was a real smart alec. Gave me total attitude and questioned if my instructor did the test correctly. He told me to send it in to be evaluated. I told him I was bummed because I wanted to use that scope/rifle on my upcoming antelope hunt. Another smart Alec comment of "do you normally shoot antelope at 700-1060 yards"? That really rubbed me the wrong way. Although they sent me a new scope, their CS rep has me questioning if I ever want to purchase anything from them again. Just an FYI. To compare, I had an issue with my Leica binos. They couldn't have been more accommodating and professional. I'll buy from them again.

I'm discovering that almost all of my Leupold scopes move much more than a quarter MOA for each click... That makes no sense.

I don't get it. Why do they allow that to continue?

On the VX5-HD that I have there is a little lock tab on the elevation turret to push to turn it for adjustment. Is that supposed to pop back out if one returns the scope to the factory setting?

On the VX5-HD that I have there is a little lock tab on the elevation turret to push to turn it for adjustment. Is that supposed to pop back out if one returns the scope to the factory setting?
Yes, the lock pops out when returned to zero
If yours is stuck, take the cds off and realign it

I'm discovering that almost all of my Leupold scopes move much more than a quarter MOA for each click... That makes no sense.

I don't get it. Why do they allow that to continue?
How long have you had these defective scopes before realizing they over track? How much more than .25 moa are they adjusting

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts