Anyone load pistol bullets on a single stage press?

I have only loaded on a single stage..... takes longer, but its just the same careful process as rifle and I have never had a delay or misfire due to a single stage. For the absolute life or death ammo...... I would prefer a single anyway..... I will be ensuring the ammo is exactly the same round for round just like precision rifle ammo.
This was my thought using the single stage.

Thanks, Justin

Justin, not in 53 years of hand loading! But, I've never loaded a rifle cartridge on one either! 😉

Started out with a turret press…..and never looked back with regret! The turret presses of today are much better than the old Lyman that I started with!

I may be incorrect…..but, I suspect that your "delay fire" had nothing to do with the press! Likely a primer issue…….stuff does happen , even with the most carefully loaded ammo!

I use an hand held primer seater……pretty much guarantees that primers are properly seated! think that the slightly slower primer seating by hand is worth the time spent! memtb

Last edited:
I just recently developed a load for my Glock 40 for deer hunting. Did it on an RCBS Rebel which is the only press I own. I'm using the 140 gr. Barnes Tac-XP bullet. This is a group at 40 yards.View attachment 470616
SO THE GLOCK 40 HAS THE 6 INCH BARREL. What kind of optics are you using? I have a 9 inch barrel from Lone Wolf I am going to drop into a Glock 40 and am trying to decide between RedDot or Scope. I would think that 140gr is too light for deer hunting but I guess you dont really need much penetration as a deer is not too large. With 140 gr hp you are going to get bullet explosion at the higher velocities and little penetration. Take all your heart lung and brain shots but DONT try a shoulder shot. The deer will run off on three legs. I have shot some clay and gell with 135s at around 1600 fps and determined I will not shoot anything lighter than 155 gr hollow points.

I've done both. Small quantities I do on a single stage, especially if I'm using a different bullet with the batch. I try to leave the progressive set up for bulk

I've bought a Glock 40 for an upcoming trip to Idaho to visit family and do some hiking. The pistol is for bear and cat protection, the chances of needing it are small, but still there none the less. By the end of the week everything to load for it should be here. I have a Lee progressive and a Rockchucker, the Lee is currently set up for my .40. Years ago I had a delay fire in my .44 Mag from ammo loaded on the Lee. Not a big problem shooting in my yard, big problem if you have a charging bear or cat.

My thoughts are to load the ammo I'm taking on the trip on my Rockchucker, I'll weigh every charge and will know exactly what I have.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Justin
Ive been loading on a single stage for 50 yrs and thousands of rounds, The only issue I've had was not the press fault

I load 38 special, 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Auto, and 454 Casull on a single stage. I never clean primer pockets on anything except my LR loads. I have three different powder measures set up to load everything except the .454 Casull, which I don't shoot much. I never scale pistol loads (or varmint loads for that matter).

I also use carbide dies for my pistol rounds; not having to lube or clean it off almost makes loading a pleasure.

SO THE GLOCK 40 HAS THE 6 INCH BARREL. What kind of optics are you using? I have a 9 inch barrel from Lone Wolf I am going to drop into a Glock 40 and am trying to decide between RedDot or Scope. I would think that 140gr is too light for deer hunting but I guess you dont really need much penetration as a deer is not too large. With 140 gr hp you are going to get bullet explosion at the higher velocities and little penetration. Take all your heart lung and brain shots but DONT try a shoulder shot. The deer will run off on three legs. I have shot some clay and gell with 135s at around 1600 fps and determined I will not shoot anything lighter than 155 gr hollow points.
I bought a KKM 7" barrel and it has a Trijicon sight. The beauty of the Barnes bullet is it won't explode and it'll travel deep because it keeps it's weight. My shots will be 40 yards or closer. I don't think a pass through will be an issue.
IMG_4038.jpeg