anyone know if this rifle will shoot 70gr or heavier bullets well

I would rather have 1;7 or no more that 1;9 twist may be 5R. That is what lead me to the Savage Stealth was the 5R rifling. Maybe I will build a rifle using a Savage or Remington or maybe a Howa action and buy a barrel and chassis. Would anyone have suggestions for what is the better action I want LH and I know that both REM, and Savage have LH actions. I want to build on a budget under a thousand.

Strewth mate
The one in my avatar cost just over $12000.00 Australian
That includes a scope that I bought for $3645.00
The burris were kind enough the next week to drop them to $1950.00 Without telling me lol bunch of mongrels I recon
It's a good scope can't complain about that
Should add that our bloody government likes to add their bit to it then we get hit with import tax as well

Nowoolies,I see y'all have a variety of wildlife to hunt there.What do you hunt?Just curious.....
G'day Poppadoer
Well for a start we don't have the big ones you guys have
But rabbits, foxes , cats , wild dogs, including dingo,Roos ,some of them get very big Western grey is the biggest of the Roos ,some males get up around 10 feet tall standing up right and you definitely don't want to get too close, they will attack you ,then we have goats ,pigs some fairly big ones now and again, biggest I've harvested was just over 530 lb dressed ,
big female that was in northern Queensland,
wild horses, camels , scrub bulls these can be very dangerous especially if wounded, a mate wounded one few years back wrong projectile used that was fun .... not, charged us we managed to stop it with my .300wm and a Barnes solid
And right up the top of the country we have water buffalo and betang a Asian bull , good fun hunting in the swamps up there lol
On the very odd occasion where I live in the hills outta Perth we get the odd deer not very often but nice to eat when we do
I've shot professionally most of my adult life and get to see a bit of our wild life
the only bears we have are koalas or as we call them drop bears because on the odd occasion they fall out of the trees on their own lol don't shoot koala you would be hung for that .
Think that about covers our wild life and what I've shot over the years ,

Last edited:
Pigs get very big up that end this one was pink and black could have been a domestic turned feral but was a long way out on the Daintree river

Roo isn't that much different eating to deer same sorta diet I guess
Back straps are my favourite, and a mates missus makes the best roo tail soup you could imagine, dang now I'm hungry and it's 05:01 am not even breakfast time

Love my .223 with the 75grn VLD-M 's not too much that hasn't stopped, use this one for walk about .

I use my .22/250 with 52grn SMK' s for sitting under a tree or on a hill top

What twist is the .223.Mine is a savage axis with 1:9 twist.Shoots the 70gr. Barnes very well.Thought about getting a 22-250 but with a faster twist to shoot heavier bullets.

What twist is the .223.Mine is a savage axis with 1:9 twist.Shoots the 70gr. Barnes very well.Thought about getting a 22-250 but with a faster twist to shoot heavier bullets.
My .223 is a 1:9 Remington VTR
The .22/250 is a Ruger M77 Target stock with a1:14 its groups exceptional well with Speer 70 grn just under 1/2 inch at 100 yards and with 52grn SMK does 1/2 inch at the rifles point blank of 274 yards if I do my part which isn't that often these days lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.