Anyone in Texas?

I live right south of Blanco TX--have a private ranch with steel to 890---welcome to Texas. I was born and raised here--and would not go any place else.Ed

You are truly blessed to have such a nice place and range that far! Good shooting!

Shootin4fun, although I dont live nearby, I would love to hook up with some long range shooters in Tx for a day of shooting and fun. I'm new to Tyler, and dont know of any long range opportunities in this area. I used to shoot F class -FPR some in south Louisiana at 600 yards and that was always a blast! Keep us posted if something comes up.

North Dallas. Thanks for all the tips on where to go for LR, guys!

Elm Fork range in Dallas is very nice but only goes to 100 yards for rifles.

Gibson Range is is a good one out in Mesquite, goes to 200.

Lonestar in Mesquite was great while it lasted, with berms at every 100 yards out to 600, but due to a law suit by neighbors has closed down for the last 9 months. They keep saying they're going to reopen after complying with a legal agreement to put up fences and redesign their ranges so no stray bullets can go anywhere off their property, but their remedial redesign of their ranges looks pretty lame at this point. They charged a yearly membership rate and most members who bought in are feeling pretty ripped off right now. (Me being one of them.) So stay away from Lonestar for now (yes, they're STILL selling memberships).

Elm Fork is nice, but as mentioned, limited in range and has a lot of rules that limit the ability to do load development (no cleaning unless preapproved, no setting up chrono unless barrel mounted, etc.). There's also the "casual" user phenomenon there where people who have never held a firearm before suddenly think they're Rambo and mishandle/unsafely handle their firearms, and I tend to get very nervous in that environment. Sometimes I will try to speak up when I think it might be received well, and it sparks good conversation. Other times, it's fruitless and I end up packing up and leaving.

Calling LSGC's phone number gets you to voicemail only, and all indications online suggest they're permanently closed. I got to use the range about twice to sight in and do load dev at 100 yards before they closed down, never got to use the 600 range or any of the smaller bays- was not very happy about that VIP membership investment. Such a waste of money for me, as I only got to use the range a couple of times. Others may have gotten a better return. Their website now redirects to some non-affiliated landing page I think.

I'm also looking for a new home- the ETTS and Cresson ranges both look good. Anyone have a preference between the two? Ideally I'd like to bring guests or my son for as little of a guest fee as possible considering the annual dues are already fairly high.

You are truly blessed to have such a nice place and range that far! Good shooting!

Shootin4fun, although I dont live nearby, I would love to hook up with some long range shooters in Tx for a day of shooting and fun. I'm new to Tyler, and dont know of any long range opportunities in this area. I used to shoot F class -FPR some in south Louisiana at 600 yards and that was always a blast! Keep us posted if something comes up.
Panola county gun club and there is a new one going in near Lindale

Is that you Blake?!? If so I should be getting my 28 Nosler in the next two weeks and we should head out to Triple C. I've heard good things and it goes out to 2000 yards. I have the capability to shoot out to 400 yds on my ranch if you want to go out there to get things dialed in.

Michael

San Angelo, here. We have a private range out to 600. I have a friend in the San Saba area that has his own range out to 1500. That one makes for interesting shooting, it faces northwest so you almost always have a crosswind of some type.

Lonestar Range in Mesquite closed and did not refund any members of the balance of their membership yearly fees. Was good for the year and a half it lasted but poorly planned.

A little swerve in the thread, but still in Texas. I'm looking to go hog hunting within a couple hours from Dallas. I see folks on Craigslist offering access to land for $150. Anyone have any experience with any of those people? I don't have thermal optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.