anyone have experiance with the 33 nosler?

grizz1874

starting a build and from the specs, it looks to be right up there with the lapua in a standard long action?It has my interest and i am considering it

starting a build and from the specs, it looks to be right up there with the lapua in a standard long action?It has my interest and i am considering it

I would take Nosler velocity figures with a grain of salt about the size of a basketball.
Should run with a 338RUM more or less. Plenty of horsepower but don't be too disappointed if it wont run with a Lapua exactly.

I would take Nosler velocity figures with a grain of salt about the size of a basketball.
Should run with a 338RUM more or less. Plenty of horsepower but don't be too disappointed if it wont run with a Lapua exactly.
even with RUM numbers, it will still get the job done...i have to look for places to stretch past 1k!

I have about 500 rounds through a 28 nos. I ran a box of Nosler factory through it and the velocity ave for 20 rounds was exactly 3125 fps- the number nosler put on the box.
The rest were reloads using nosler data and I found it to be pretty much dead on using the same barrel length, primers and powder they list.
The 33 should get you a little velocity edge over the 300 WM but the Nosler brass is more $$.( I have a 300 WM and I love it)

I like the new nosler cartridges, but really don't like how nosler is marketing this one.

Noslers data on the lapua is misleading to say the least. Their data on the 225 is actually about what you can expect from factory ammo with 250's, unless you buy their ammo, which just happens to be about the slowest factory ammo you can buy for the lapua.

There is nothing wrong with the 33, but posting borderline false (if it weren't for their own products) information is unprofessional in my opinion. Apparently nosler didn't learn anything from their lrab's over inflated bc's. They are already claiming the 22 nosler rivals the 22-250.

They must be testing in short barrels using slow powders to get the velocities they're getting from the lapua. "25 fps faster than the lapua at the muzzle while burning 18% less powder" Now that is a bold statement to make around a bunch of guys that know what they're doing and in my opinion warrants some explaining.

This really is not a far cry from comparing the 30-06 to the 300 win mag, not exactly the same, these two are a little farther apart but not much.

I really like the new nosler line up, but they should just sell them for what they are, they already own one of the biggest mistakes made in the bullet industry.

My lapua pushes 300's 300 fps faster than noslers data on the 300's on the lapua. I'm at 92 grains of retumbo which is two grains under hodgdon's max load with a much longer coal than saami. Point being, It'd go faster if I cared to push it there.

Sorry for the long post, I rarely post, but I'd hate to see someone build a custom rifle and not get what they want. If you want to be right up there with the 338 lapua on a standard action, the 33 nosler will disappoint, the 338 rum will get you close, the 338 edge will get you there. Other than information, there is nothing wrong with any of them.

Good luck with your build

What Toddc said.

Highest weight bullet is ~250 grains.

With Berger OTM 250s it will easily make 2950fps with a longer than 24" barrel more.

Re: anyone have experience with the 33 nosler?

i already have a 300wm w/26in pipe, 338wm w/28in, and a 264wm w/26in. just looking for something different to play with, and it is a toss up between the 26 and 33 so far. they caught my eye because they work in a standard long action

Re: anyone have experience with the 33 nosler?

i already have a 300wm w/26in pipe, 338wm w/28in, and a 264wm w/26in. just looking for something different to play with, and it is a toss up between the 26 and 33 so far. they caught my eye because they work in a standard long action

Rechamber your 338WM and rock the rocks.

Wonder what it'd do loaded longer like the guys are doing with the 28s?

It does well. The 33 or in my case 338/26 with a couple grains more, IMO still has a limited of 250grn bullets. I did throw some bigger ones but didn't like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.