Anyone hand loading subsonic Hornady 255gr Sub-X’s in their 7.62x39’s yet?

I picked up a Ruger Ranch 7.62x39 (16") just for shooting the Hornady 255gr Sub-X bullets. I have a bunch of the bullets and a pile of Starline 7.62x39 brass. I haven't had the time to start working up a load yet. I'm going to run it with a Silencer Co Omega 36M. It should be fun for Rockchucks in the Cherry and Pear orchards.

I e-mailed Hornady . They said as of now they have no publishable load data for it yet. Any thoughts on where to start?
I purchased that ammo through Hornady. It will not cycle in my mini 30. 1 in 10 twist, I guess I will be running supersonic in this rifle using these.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Total fail! It would shoot them tight at 10 yards. At 50 yards. Everything went through the target side ways. My Ruger ranch rifle doesn't have the correct twist rate.
Might try bumping your loads up until they go supersonic. If they still go sideways, yeah you're prob not gonna have enough twist with that heavy long bullet. If it shoots ok, drop your charges until just barely subsonic.

Some guys a few years ago were playing with a "7.62x39 Jackhammer ", AK round with a faster twist for heavy/or subsonic. Mostly in the AR platform. I have a AR barrel here in 1-8" twist. Just got sidetracked on other projects. I wanted to try one in a bolt action, savage barrel shank, but then AK ammo went through the roof. Not cheap anymore.

These would cycle in my rifle and were fairly accurate. I just really got it sighted in and went out to 200 yards will have to check velocity and accuracy next time. 1 in 8 twist.
Velocity on the box listed at 1060.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts