Anyone have a good subsonic load for 308 Win?

Shawn,

Can't vouch for this data personally, but (because I have a couple of old boxes of Sako 185 subsonic) I made a note of this from an article I once read:

Sako Subsonic factory load: 185gr bullet, 9.0gr Viht N320, RWS magnum primer.

(requires 18" barrel and 1:10 twist).

In expansion tests trying to replicate this load for a conventional 308 barrel, none of the following expanded at 100yds:

Nosler BT, A- Max, Speer (type unknown) Sierra (ditto) Lapua (ditto) or Barnes X (!!)

…accuracy was also poor.

Winning load for a 24" 1:12 barrel?……

Lapua 200gr B416 loaded backwards (yes, backwards!) with a COL of 2.433" over N320, CCI 250 mag primer –final charge weight not specified- sub MOA and hard hitting due to flat-point (ie the base!).

Hope that may be of some help!

BD,
Thanks for the info. Running the quick load program with almost any bullet I came up with N310 or N320 for the powder. I am going to try a Nosler 180 gr B Tip, N310 and see what happens. I just got a form 4 back and am building a new "can" for my 308. If I can not get the stock PSS barrel (20") to work I will grab the next gear and rebarrel in a 1-8 twist Hart and shoot 240 SMK sub loads in it. I will post the results.

[ QUOTE ]
BD,
Thanks for the info. Running the quick load program with almost any bullet I came up with N310 or N320 for the powder. I am going to try a Nosler 180 gr B Tip, N310 and see what happens. I just got a form 4 back and am building a new "can" for my 308. If I can not get the stock PSS barrel (20") to work I will grab the next gear and rebarrel in a 1-8 twist Hart and shoot 240 SMK sub loads in it. I will post the results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right--I used 6gn of n320 for a 150gn lead bullet at about 1050 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

310 and 320 are THE powders for this game.

JB

Anyone have a good subsonic load for 308 Win?

[ QUOTE ]
42 gr. imr-4895, 165 gr. bullet. That is the load that the long range target shooters use.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you caught it but Mr.Carlock is shooting this round out of a gun with a suppressor (silencer). He does not want the bullets to break the sound barrier so there is no sonic "Boom" coming off the bullet.

Speer manual #12 page 277 Shows a start load of 37 grains of IMR 4895 pushing a 180 grain bullet from a 22" barrel at 2176 feet per second. That, and all other loads with lighter weight bullets using the same powder are leaving the muzzle at supersonic speeds.

[ QUOTE ]
42 gr. imr-4895, 165 gr. bullet. That is the load that the long range target shooters use.

[/ QUOTE ]

which LR target shooters exactly?

If they know what is good for them, they will try the 175SMK or 155 scenar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I was wondering the exact same thing. This board is full of target type shooters and I know we use alot more powders than that.

.308 subsonic

Hi, I've done a little work with subsonic ammo in my .308 here in the uk and settled on a load of 7 grains of unique with a 180g round nose flat base bullet I didn't bother drilling out the flash hole or anything like that . what I would suggest is if your using a moderator develop your load with it off and check your targets for bullet yaw before you try the loads with your mod fitted as if the bullet is very unstable it may foul the baffles!! you don't need the super high b.c. of match bullets because realistically you will only be shooting to 200 yards max with any real sucess ,I was getting 1'' to 1-1/2'' groups at 100yds and settled with that. my rifle has got a 20'' factory remington barrel which shoots 1/2'' groups at 100yds with tap ammo,federal gmm and my amax handload (168g) although I can only manage a real 3/4-1'' generally I've really got to be on my game to shoot 1/2'' regular but it is nice to know it's you and not your kit thats at fault!

If you get an old lyman reloading manual check out the cast bullet loads with pistol powders it's a good place to start.

good luck its great fun,,,,Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.