Anybody use Reloader 25 for their 300 WM?

engineer40

I have a Cabela's coupon to use up. I'm thinking about picking up a pound of Reloader 25 to try. One of my reloading manuals has some very fast velocities listed for the heavy 210gr+ bullets using it in a 300 WM.

Any opinions or experience to share?

Thanks! :)

I've been trying RL26 with 200gr ELDX ,got up to 3150 with no pressure signs in a 26" barrel but they shot HORRIBLY. This barrel just will not shoot the ELDX with any powder tried, but velocity was good.
Hope this helps any.

Wow, this is the third time I have heard issues with the new hornady bullet. I too am looking at new powder but may I also recommend RL-26, just ordered 2 pounds as for 190 and heavier bullets, it looks like the ticket!

Yep I've starting using it in my 300 RUM also. As for a burn rate I think its somewhere between 7828/H1000 and retumbo. It gave me some desent results that I need to double check on the first set of round I tried it in. Load was 220 ELD-x with 87 grain of R26. This was for a 300 RUM not the win mag but I don't see why it would not be a good powder in it as well.

I agree, should perform with anything heavier than 180 grains, alliants reloading manual has 78.5 grains behind a 190 grain Sierra for 3068 fps and with a Nosler Partition 180 grain was 80 grs of powder for 3130 fps. NOt bad for a 24" barrel.

So at first I posted the question in regards to Reloder 25, because that is what both of my manuals have listed. But you guys are talking about Reloder 26. When I look it up, almost seems like Reloder 26 replaced Reloder 25? (And from that viewpoint Alliant also came out with a 23 that seems to have replaced the 22?).

I haven't used Alliant powders for my rifles much yet, although I use a ton of Power Pistol, Unique, and Blue Dot for my handguns.

There is a guy on another forum that stats with his 300WM using Reloder 26 with a 26 inch barrel, he is getting 3,000fps with no pressure signs shooting the 215 Berger hybird. If that's true... that's really outstanding.

Thanks!

So at first I posted the question in regards to Reloder 25, because that is what both of my manuals have listed. But you guys are talking about Reloder 26. When I look it up, almost seems like Reloder 26 replaced Reloder 25? (And from that viewpoint Alliant also came out with a 23 that seems to have replaced the 22?).

I haven't used Alliant powders for my rifles much yet, although I use a ton of Power Pistol, Unique, and Blue Dot for my handguns.

There is a guy on another forum that stats with his 300WM using Reloder 26 with a 26 inch barrel, he is getting 3,000fps with no pressure signs shooting the 215 Berger hybird. If that's true... that's really outstanding.

Thanks!
I have used RE25 extensively, even for comp work.
I am currently using 79gr with 200gr Accubonds in my Kimber 8400 Select, this is max, I get just shy of 2900fps. I also have a load with 180gr Accubonds in the same rifle that averages 3166fps. It is somewhat slower/more energy than Retumbo. I also tried H50BMG, it's too slow for this barrel, but, works well in my 32" barrel.
I would work up to 79gr, watching for sticky extraction or bolt lift.
This powder is not known as being temp stable, but, I have no serious issues using it at range with 215gr Bergers.

Hope this gets you close.

Cheers.
:D

If you are going to be long range hunting in different weather conditions R25 just will not shoot as well as a Hodgdon extreme powder. It provides great accuracy and velocity with the right cartridge but the fps/degree is too large for me.

I agree on the temp sensitivity. However I have very little experience with R26. Have shot it a bit out of my Sherman. My 300 WM loves 215 Bergers and H1000. R26 does get good velocity from what I have read; but so does H1000. I get right at 3000 fps with a 215 and I believe BROZ is over 3000 fps with his 300 WM. I have a 26" BRUX.

If I can find some RE26, Im going to give it a try. Alliant states it is not temp sensitive like RE25. But could just be marketing right. :)

Fairly sure I could try it in my 6.5-284 also.

Thanks everyone for your insights!

I have no experience with it but the reports are that it is better than other Aliants but not up to par with Hodgdon Extremes. If you get some please give a report.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.