Anybody shoot a lightweight 300 WM Bullet?

drenner43

As the title says, anybody have a 300 WinMag they use a light bullet in for speed and fun, like a 130 grainer? If so what's your load and what kind of speeds do you see?

I shoot jack rabbits and coyotes with a 125gr. TNT with 79gr. of H4831 and they chrono at 3418. They work really good to 300 yds and then after that they lose accuracy bad. I am not sure what happens to them but not good beyond 300. They however are really fun and very little recoil. They really blow stuff up. Not good for coyotes if your saving pelts.

Hornady has some 110 V-max bullets. I always wondered what they would do in my RUM. They would definitely be entertaining.

Hornady has some 110 V-max bullets. I always wondered what they would do in my RUM. They would definitely be entertaining.

Those V-Max's are killer fun out of a 30 cal. I've shot them in my 300 WSM and it would spread prairie dogs over a 20 foot radius. You just have to load them to the recommended COL or they won't have enough bullet in the neck. The recoil is noticeably less, and accuracy was surprisingly good with my first and only load tested shooting around MOA. I bet with some load tweaking I could have got them to shoot better but I just wanted to play with them and only had a few days before the p-dog shoot.

I would LOVE to see what a 110 V-Max would do to a coyote at 300 WM to 300 RUM velocities.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, be fast and a lot of fun. What's the smallest I could shoot in a 1-10 twist barrel??

Yeah that's what I was thinking, be fast and a lot of fun. What's the smallest I could shoot in a 1-10 twist barrel??

My 300 WSM is a 1:10 and the bullet seemed to shoot fine. I don't think it's ideal but man they hit varmints hard. This thread has renewed my interest in loading them again and see what it will do to a coyote.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.