Anybody running accubonds in .358

Oldschool280

Hello and happy early new year. I have recently been bitten by the 35 whelen and put one together from parts bought right here at home on this site. Shoots wonderful with 250 hornady's and 225 gamekings. Being i have a few weeks off and a hog hunt coming up in february i figured maybe i'd try some accubonds for the colonel. How do you guys like em for staying together up close and taking a longer poke? I like to find accuracy nodes in the upper velocity ranges if i can. I have read extensively on the gameking as being built just for
The whelen and figure i'm good, but i'm under the weather, bored and loading doesn't make me want to take a nap like working on the house does.

Been playing with the Whelen and the Accubonds this week. 59.0 grains of Varget. Fed 210 primer RP cases and 2770 fps out of a 24 inch barrel. I found the Sierras a bit "sticky" and had to reduce by one grain. The Varget load with the Accubonds was sub-moa. I just loaded another 30 last night. Next loading to try will be CFE223 64-67 grains, supposed to give another 75-100 fps. Oh ya, gain twist 1-12 barrel.

Don't know about the Accubonds in the Whelen, however can tell you the Barnes 225gr TSX bullets are like Thor's hammer in the Whelen. I've used the Barnes 200gr TTSX bullets in the .358 Winchester, shot a 200lb bear at 60 yards, through and through broadside just behind the shoulders, broke both shoulders, large entry hole and very large exit hole. The same with the Barnes 225gr TSX bullets. The Barnes bullets are not as accurate in my Whelen as the Gameking 225gr bullets, but....we're talking at 200 yards.

My SIL used the 225AB in his 35 Whelen Ackley Improved on an elk, it worked swell, but not the penetration of the 200x he used previously.
My last pig with a 35 Whelen Ackley was with the 310 Woodleigh. Perfection. Drop down to a Woodleigh 225/250 round nose and watch the goodness! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.