Anybody own Leica 15x56 Bino w/ EHR range

Country Bumpkin

anybody own these and use WITHOUT support of separate range finder?

I'm not a trophy hunter, if an animalhas a decent frame on it I put boots to ground and kill it. With that, I carry 10x binos, spotting scope and separate range finder. Thinking that I'd like to ditch RF and sporting scope if I upgrade to these high quality 15x's.

Only hesitation is if the RF ability if these will be sufficient.

Shooting 7 RM and I limit myself to 500. While I love shooting Steel out to 800 yards, I'm not confident to shoot animals that far, I prefer to be a sneaky injun when Hunting.

I'm not a trophy hunter, if an animalhas a decent frame on it I put boots to ground and kill it. With that, I carry 10x binos, spotting scope and separate range finder. Thinking that I'd like to ditch RF and sporting scope if I upgrade to these high quality 15x's.

Shooting 7 RM and I limit myself to 500. While I love shooting Steel out to 800 yards, I'm not confident to shoot animals that far, I prefer to be a sneaky injun when Hunting.
Ttt, anybody own a pair of these?

You won't be happy with it. Stick to your current set up. RF glass is never as good as Non RF glass. Buy a good set of 12's and dictch the 10's.

Thank you for the reply. Would it make any difference if my current setup really stinks? I have cheap Bino's, an incredibly heavy and old spotter, and a really sh!tty range finder that only ranges about 300 yards consistently. Who needs a RF for that distance, it's really only effective during archery. When I shoot steel it's with friends around using their RF's. When Hunting I can only take animals at 250 or less unless my buddy is with me with his RF. Really I need to replace pretty much alll of my optics.

Thoughts?

I think you would be happy but will likely need something to aid in steadying them. Leica's range finders are some of the best out there. Their glass is at or near the top as well. You said you have crap now so you will think you have died and gone to heaven in my opion. It is nice to be able to eliminate some articles when hiking. They should save you some weight as well though they will be heavy. Good look let us know what you plan to do and give a report on them if you choose this setup.

The 15x Leica rangefinder is a good tool but might be too much for what you're doing. Two of my friends bought them for prairie dog shooting and the power is nice but they have to be on a tripod. One guy switched back to 10x for easier use the other is thinking about the same move.
There are many rangefinder out there that will easily do 700 yards and fit in your pocket. You will spend more time looking through the binos so get a nice pair of 8x or 10x. Much lighter to carry without built in rangefinder. If you have at least 15x or more on your rifle scope make the final decision looking through that glass.

Thank you for the reply. Would it make any difference if my current setup really stinks? I have cheap Bino's, an incredibly heavy and old spotter, and a really sh!tty range finder that only ranges about 300 yards consistently. Who needs a RF for that distance, it's really only effective during archery. When I shoot steel it's with friends around using their RF's. When Hunting I can only take animals at 250 or less unless my buddy is with me with his RF. Really I need to replace pretty much alll of my optics.

Thoughts?

Sounds like you need to start over, I've spent time in the field behind the Swaro EL ranges and the HDB's this year, none of them compare optically to my EL 12x50s. Those on a tripod will cover most non strictly trophy hunting trips. For a RF, just get a sig 2200, they 350.00 and work as good as anything on the market.

With glass, buy once cry once.

Sounds like you need to start over, I've spent time in the field behind the Swaro EL ranges and the HDB's this year, none of them compare optically to my EL 12x50s. Those on a tripod will cover most non strictly trophy hunting trips. For a RF, just get a sig 2200, they 350.00 and work as good as anything on the market.

With glass, buy once cry once.
Good thoughts. I'll look into the EL.

If you go the EL route do yourself a favor and get a nice little Leica range finder it will compliment the Swaro's nicely.

If you go the EL route do yourself a favor and get a nice little Leica range finder it will compliment the Swaro's nicely.

Gulp!

Looking at pricing, the EL's appear to be just under $3K and the Leica RF is $800 +.

The Leica 15x56 with EHR can be found for just over $2k.

I'm not sure what to do.

I think he meant a Leica 1600 Range Finder. They are a good RF and have great glass which you can use as a monocular, seven power. You can find these lightly used on the forum under $400.

Last edited:
Sorry County Bumpkin I should have been a lot more clear on what I said. I did like your idea of the 15 power option to cut down on equiptment you were packing around. Others were right though 15 power is a lot to try and hold steady without a tripod. This being said I was shocked at how much a friend of mine was able to see with his 7 power Leica range finder this fall while hunting. What I am trying to say is top quality glass in a 10 power may be all you need. In that case you could get the Leica rf bino's for less then the hd b models. You are on the right track looking at top quality glass now you just need to decide how much power you will be able to hold steady.

I have a pair of 15's with RF. I love them. Easily range to 1500. They are very nice when paired with a tripod adapter and UL tripod. However, I still use my 10x Leica HD-B for carrying and bowhunting ect. Like Wild Bill said, you might be surprised what you will see with high end glass.

I never thought of this angle before but does Leica make a doubler for their bino's. If they do this would turn your 10 power bino's into a small 20 power for a small fee. Something to look into would save weight and easy to pack in your pocket.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.