leica HD-B Rangefinder/Bino

I believe I posted this last year but here goes. I run a pair of 10x40 HD-B's. I absolutely love them; using them weekly if not several times per week. The week before the Utah elk hunt I verified their compatibility with my 6.5x47 running the Canadian 142 gr Matrix VLD @ 2917 fps. I hit my 450, 567, 618, 735, 860, 1011 and 1390 steel targets, 1st round hits using the HDB's. For the 1390, I pulled the range, baro, temp and angle off the HDB's and entered it into my Shooter program. And for the 1011 yd hit, my pair gives me dope to 1008, so I used the same click value.

The 1st afternoon out I sat and watched a ridge without any results. About 15 min before end of legal light I moved to a new spot. As I pulled up in my truck I started to glass across a large sage brush flat and immediately caught a spike and cow leave the edge of the trees and enter the flat. I ranged him at 1020 yds. I just bounced the laser off several clumps of sage in front of the bull until it gave me a 1008 reading (90 clicks or 22.6 moa), knowing i'd just have to add one more click. I pulled my kit our of the truck and set up. At the shot I watched the impact/miss over the bulls back. I was flabbergasted to say the least. While still in the prone position, I range him again and darned if he hadn't moved in 70 yds to 950. Now it was telling me 83 clicks or 20.7 moa, so I simply dialed down 2 moa and killed the bull. I looked at my watch and saw I had 4 min of legal light remaining.

An interesting note. It was overcast with a storm coming in and so darker than normal. Dark enough I had to use the illum on my NF NXS Compact 2.5-10x42 with MOAR reticle to see where to place the reticle on the bull. Those HD-B's saved my butt. Several months before I put together a simple conversion chart and laminated it with a luggage tag laminator at Kinkos. I used a pair of the luggage tag attachment loops to attach the chart to the HD-B's, semi permanently. It folds flat against the bino's when I drop them into my Badlands bino case Mag. BINO CASE MAG

20141019_083959_zpsvepi7yp2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts