leica HD-B Rangefinder/Bino

Nikkel

does anyone know if the new Leica HD-B bino/rangefinder will now do calculations using G7 rather than G1 ? I know the last time I checke the calculations for the chip were only done using G1.
Thanks for your help and input as I am currenly deciding what to buy.

Ray

G-1. It works for me out 1000 yards. Which is the max output of the ballistics calculator anyway. I've used the hd-bs with my 338 edge & 7mm stw with great success!!

Thanks. Shooting custom load in my 300wsm
Using Barnes 168gr at 3100 fps
So is the g7 or g1 just for input in the custom chip or is the software that is built into the binocular the issue. In otherwords if I purchase them and later Leica has the g7 data will it be able to recognize the new data?
I am a hunter not a teck head!!
Still using my Leica 1200 with a G7 bulistics chart taped to my gun stock.
Made a nice shot at 670 yds last year but looking to simplify and carry less gadgets.

I'm looking at getting a set of HD-B's in the near future too. I've read and heard nothing but good things about them.

Have shot the G1 out to 800 and it matched what I had calculated. I don't know about G7 but I do know that the lens caps are horrible and lost one on the first time out. The solution is to put Butler Creek Flip Open Scope Covers #34 on. You have to trim them to fit over the bridge where the binos join but they fit snug, cover the lens and aren't going to fall off. I just got a set of the Blizzard see thru type but haven't checked them for fit yet.

Secure caps

Attachments

• leica 1.jpg
    leica 1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 127
  • leica 2.jpg
    leica 2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 119
sounds like the g1calcs vs the g7 calcs are not an issue out to 1000 yds. I will take a look at the 2 charts on my barnes bullet. Actually when producing a bullestics chart for my gun I do a field test validation and end up tweaking the fps on the input data slightly from the actual to make the chart validate the field test. I am assuming I would do the same thing before entering the data into the custom chip of the binocular. Any thoughts? It looks like the total weight of my leica 1200s combined with my swarovski el 10x32s is a few onces less than the weight of the leica hd-b but it would be nice to have one less gadget to carry.

I heard from a reliable source . That the HD-B's round up or down after 600 yards and don't give a true value . It is in the programming. When Leica was told this, they said that it was good enough for there customers. Anyone see this ?

Yes they do round up or down at all ranges. So the most you can be off is 1/2 min. So @ 1000 you could be off as much as 5"" low or high. So its definitely something to pay attention to. With that said they are an excellent tool for longe range hunting. If I have time while hunting I'll check with my shooters program on my phone before I take the shot.

Corey

Yes they do round up or down at all ranges. So the most you can be off is 1/2 min. So @ 1000 you could be off as much as 5"" low or high. So its definitely something to pay attention to. With that said they are an excellent tool for longe range hunting. If I have time while hunting I'll check with my shooters program on my phone before I take the shot.

Corey

The solution to that is to operate the ballistic solution in "Click" mode instead of MOA. If you use clicks instead of MOA my solutions in the bino's match my shooter program perfectly to 1000. I have had my elevation knob engraved in clicks and no issues at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.