Leica 10x42 Geovid HD-B Rangefinder Binocular

wtdii2d

does any one have experience with the Leica 10x42 Geovid HD-B Rangefinder Binocular with the ballistic program installed. any info would be helpful.gun)

I have a pair. Love them. Like any technology, you need to decide how to best use them to match your needs. The glass is fantastic. The ranging capability is really good. They are very easy to use and have a very fast response time. I compared them side by side to the Swaros and the Zeiss. Also tried the G7, but not side by side. What questions do you have?

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/leica-geovid-hd-b-help-142599/

Bob

Works like a champ. There is a deer sized, dark rock that I can see from my kitchen. I have ranged it at least a hundred times, through the glass. The reading comes up within a second and has never varied more than 2 yards from 1,838 yards. Daytime, night time, snow, rain, bright sun, etc. In the field I have ranged past 1,500 yards plenty of times.
Like most folks here, I shoot year round. I most often shoot a .260AI and 140gr A-Max. Medium heavy custom 700. I have verified drop data out to 1,440 yards. I use a Kenton direct dial turret on it. My second most used rifle is a Kimber Montana in 7-08. CDS dial on it. Fairly plain-Jane. Shooting 162gr A-Max. Verified drop data to 1,050 yards.
I played with Leica's ballistic program to closely match my data for each rifle/load. I copied each to a separate SD card. Using the "Card" option in the HD-B it will calculate, out to 1,000 yards, using the environmental data read by the HD-B, the angle and ballistic profile from the SD card. You have several options for output.
I most often use the EHR mode. It will display measured straight line of sight yardage and then Equivalent Horizontal Range yardage. I dial the drop using the EHR number and hold wind based on the line of sight number. This has proved to work extremely well. Past 1,000 yards it will only display line of sight yardage. You will need to calculate your real drop from that. Pressing the secondary button will still give you angle, temperature and pressure out to it's maximum range.
I wanted a single unit bino/RF. I upgraded to the HD-B from 8X30 Swaros and a Leica range finder. Only having to carry a single item is awesome. I'm using a Kuiu bino harness to carry them. Works great.
If you have a store near you that you can try them, that will be a big help. Try them at dusk and check out their brightness. Find a distant, small object to range. Try to find something over 1,000 yards. Go back in the middle of the day, in bright sunlight and see if you can still range it. I would shop for the best price. Don't pay retail for them.

Bob

Works like a champ. There is a deer sized, dark rock that I can see from my kitchen. I have ranged it at least a hundred times, through the glass. The reading comes up within a second and has never varied more than 2 yards from 1,838 yards. Daytime, night time, snow, rain, bright sun, etc. In the field I have ranged past 1,500 yards plenty of times.
Like most folks here, I shoot year round. I most often shoot a .260AI and 140gr A-Max. Medium heavy custom 700. I have verified drop data out to 1,440 yards. I use a Kenton direct dial turret on it. My second most used rifle is a Kimber Montana in 7-08. CDS dial on it. Fairly plain-Jane. Shooting 162gr A-Max. Verified drop data to 1,050 yards.
I played with Leica's ballistic program to closely match my data for each rifle/load. I copied each to a separate SD card. Using the "Card" option in the HD-B it will calculate, out to 1,000 yards, using the environmental data read by the HD-B, the angle and ballistic profile from the SD card. You have several options for output.
I most often use the EHR mode. It will display measured straight line of sight yardage and then Equivalent Horizontal Range yardage. I dial the drop using the EHR number and hold wind based on the line of sight number. This has proved to work extremely well. Past 1,000 yards it will only display line of sight yardage. You will need to calculate your real drop from that. Pressing the secondary button will still give you angle, temperature and pressure out to it's maximum range.
I wanted a single unit bino/RF. I upgraded to the HD-B from 8X30 Swaros and a Leica range finder. Only having to carry a single item is awesome. I'm using a Kuiu bino harness to carry them. Works great.
If you have a store near you that you can try them, that will be a big help. Try them at dusk and check out their brightness. Find a distant, small object to range. Try to find something over 1,000 yards. Go back in the middle of the day, in bright sunlight and see if you can still range it. I would shop for the best price. Don't pay retail for them.

Bob

I pretty much second everything said here, they really are awesome, the ballistic data was spot on with shooter for my 6.5-284. i have a brand new set still in the box for sale, pm me if you want more info about them...................

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.