Anybody know anything about Vortex Viper Binoculars?

+1 for Scott, the spotters are ??? but the bino's are getting great reviews and P.S. BUY THEM FROM SCOTT, he is a great supporter of all these forums.

+1 for Scott, the spotters are ??? but the bino's are getting great reviews and P.S. BUY THEM FROM SCOTT, he is a great supporter of all these forums.

Thank you very much. We are also a staunch supporter of RKBA and I'm a shooter/hunter/gun nut, too.

As for the Diamondbacks, I think Doug at Cameraland has a special on cosmetic blem Coyote colored Diamondbacks for like $129. This price can't be beat, and for binos to kick around in they do the job. I am partial to the Vipers, or the Razors if you like the open hinge styling.

Scott

I just went to whole sale sports and compared the tallon hd to the zeiss victory and did not see much difference at all and the viper is a step up from the tallon. In my opion there is not 1000 dolars difference maybee 100 . I know they won several catagorys for being one of the best for the money. I never even looked through a pair and bought with confidence from doug at camra land. kellyw

what I find truely impressive is how vortex has marketed themselves. they went from nothing to being sold everywhere. keep in mind, I know I keep saying this but vortex doesn't actually make anything, they just label products generally built in asia with their name. some of these are probably built to their spec others might be existing product that their name is thrown on. while this isn't always a bad thing. it just means vortex has less control over the final product than alot of other companies. many optics companies do the same as vortex does to some or all of their line. I would be really weary of spending more than a few hundred on any of their products, reason being is they tend to blow out price the old models quite often. a buddy of my bought a vortex skyline spotter, without asking me, as I would have told him to get the leupold kenai, in any event he paid over $700 for that spotter, last I looked doug was blowing them out for $449. he has owned the spotter for less than a year and its worth half what he paid for it. contrast that to a leupold gold ring spotter that I owned for 6 years and sold it for MORE than I paid for it.

if your going to be spending more than $1000, I would buy, leica, swaro, ziess, or leupold, I just can't lay out that kind of coin for a product that is going to be blowout priced 6 mos later or has no established resale value. I horse trade in and out of optics all the time, I need retained value.

I bought a pair of Viper 6x32 binoculars and flat out love them. They are always around my neck while bowhunting, and most everywhere I hunt with less than a 300 yard shot. I also abuse them quite well while turkey hunting as I tend to pretty much bang the crap out of my stuff while going after gobblers.

I am now eyeing the new Viper HD 10x42 vs a Zeiss Conquest 10x40, and am leaning toward the Viper...

The viper hd in 10x42 are like 450 from doug and the zeiss conquest 10x42 are like 900 . Now in my opinion anyone who pays full retail isnt much of a buyer or haggler and should buy the higher end bino. Now if were talking crisp clear in my opinion Ide take the viper any day of the week. I just looked through both last week and the viper is as good or better than the conquest and no real big difference between the viper hd and the victory and they were 1800 so ide go with the 500 dollar bino and the vortex warranty is still covered if you run them over with your truck. I dont think zeiss would honor the warranty. I did just buy the zeiss victory 8x26 range finder as dougs price couldnt be beat anywhere.

Comparing leupy acadia binos and the diamond backs my wife now has the leupys as the diamond backs beat them hands down in every way. I also got the nomad spotter for a xmas present and have been very happy with the performance it is light and fits in the pack nicely. not up to par with the swaro my frieind used but if some thing happens to it i dont have to take a loan out to replace it. For some reason my wife thinks a college fund is more important than my hunting fund:)

I just got the Viper 8.5x50 bino's and they are very nice. The glass is clear and they feel very sturdy. The field of view is not the best (but not really bad) and when I got them the rubber armor was peeling away from the body in one spot. I got them on discount so for the price I am very happy.

The 10x42 Vipers have a slightly larger field of view but a smaller exit pupil and you should be able to find some great prices since they are showing discontinued on Vortex's web site.

Another good option would be the Talon HD's. Slightly better specs and HD glass as well.

I've had the Viper 6x32 binoculars for a few months now. Super happy with them. The glass quality is very, very good, and the size makes them incredibly handy to take anywhere. I've also got a Viper 2-7 scope, and am very happy with that glass also. IMO, the Viper lines are an excellent bang for the buck, especially with some of the closeout pricing available.

Careful guys their is a difference in the viper line the viper r/t is the ranging reticle and then the plain viper and then the HD being even better. There are big differences between the viper and the viper HD . That is what I looked at and compared last week . viper are in the 400 to 600 dollar range and the HD are in the 800 dollar range but they are on sale . You need to shop around for the best price then phone doug at camera land and he will be your last place to shop. Kellyw

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts