Any West Texas mentors?

wm5l

I finally have a .4 MOA Hunting gun (280 AI that shoots 175s very well). Where can a guy go watch and learn in West Texas out to say 1000 yds? 400 has been my longest kill and I would like to stretch it out some more but want to do it correctly.

I finally have a .4 MOA Hunting gun (280 AI that shoots 175s very well). Where can a guy go watch and learn in West Texas out to say 1000 yds? 400 has been my longest kill and I would like to stretch it out some more but want to do it correctly.
I have a buddy over just south of Abilene with steel silhouettes to 600yds and if you want to shoot further there's plenty of room to hang portable targets or paper.

There would be a fee but he's a very knowledgeable LR shooter and gunsmith and could be a great help.

Where are you located?

I live in Snyder but would not be anything like a mentor. There is a group in Midland area that shoots matches. JP blue steel ranch is in eastern New Mexico and Todd Hodnet in the panhandle offer classes.

I am in San Angelo TX. Does anybody know anything about the ranges in Water Valley/Robert Lee up on the divide or near Bronte that belongs to Mr Shaw? I see the first one mentioned from the road and the gate is always wide open and nobody is ever there. I don't think you can just "go shoot" when the mood strikes LOL. Id be interested in meeting up some time with some other newbies or old bulls...Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.