Successful West Texas free range aoudad hunt

This week I returned from a west Texas Aoudad hunt with WTHO. I took a 12 yr old ram at 300 yds shooting the 131 Blackjack Bullets around 3100 fps. The first shot hit about an inch behind the shoulder knuckle and had a ping-pong ball sized entrance (no exit). Second shot was quartering away and exited just in front of the off side front leg. The first shot would have done the trick but the second was insurance. He went less than 5 yds after the first shot.

Later, the guides said they were a little nervous about shooting an aoudad with a 25 cal, but they were very impressed by the performance.

That afternoon I shot 2 eater hogs as well. The hunt was great and I'll be going back again soon.
You posted in the Sherman FB page, right?

This week I returned from a west Texas Aoudad hunt with WTHO. I took a 12 yr old ram at 300 yds shooting the 131 Blackjack Bullets around 3100 fps. The first shot hit about an inch behind the shoulder knuckle and had a ping-pong ball sized entrance (no exit). Second shot was quartering away and exited just in front of the off side front leg. The first shot would have done the trick but the second was insurance. He went less than 5 yds after the first shot.

Later, the guides said they were a little nervous about shooting an aoudad with a 25 cal, but they were very impressed by the performance.

That afternoon I shot 2 eater hogs as well. The hunt was great and I'll be going back again soon.
Great hunt and good shooting. I shoot a 257Bee and just had it re-barreled to shoot the Blackjacks glad to see that they have terminal downrange effect. The 1st Aoudad I took was with my 257Bee was before the re-barre, shooting 100 grain Sierra's he was 400+ yards and he took about 4 steps before going down. Quarter bore with velocity is a killing machine for sure.

My hunting partner has a 6.5 CR. He is worried about 400 yd shots. Is CR with 125-127 bullet okay?
I killed a big muley at 400 yards with my old 6.5 CM with a frontal shot and 143 ELDX. But overall throughout the season I was definitely not impressed with its killing power. Put it in the right spot and it'll kill em though.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.