Any Stock Finishers here ? I have a couple questions

I was using arrow oil finish the first time.

So not sure how much I need to remove before I use permalyn
I would think they would be compatible but have not used Arrow. I looked up the Arrow and their site doesn't specify other than oils with fillers.

I would strip it until there isn't anything left that would show on the new finish then test compatibility down in the barrel channel where it won't show if there is an issue. I suspect Permalyn will go right over the other oil. Permalyn is doing the same thing but with the Linseed oil and clear urethane setting up to fill the holes. The urethane also gives water resistance and stops the oil from continuing to soak as deep. It's a great product.

The figure on your stock is very nice. I really like how the grain rolls nicely into the leading edge of the raised cheek.

So I bought this stock unfinished and got shaped the way I want, bottom metal and action have been bedded by me. I've sanded to 400 grit and applied a heavy coat of Arrow oil and these marks became visible and arose a few questions for those with a lot more experience than me.

1. Are the vertical marks (a couple in the butt area and the ones by my hand in the second picture) tooling marks left by who cut the stock? If so, do I just sand that area more and try to remove them?
2. The black areas on the cheek piece; is that just a characteristic of walnut (stock is claro walnut)?
3. The small black spots and lines all over the stock; are these wood pores? When I sanded, I didn't wipe off any of the dust and oiled over it, thinking it would fill in the pores with the dust (was told this by an experienced stock builder/finisher). Well, obviously they're still there and I'd like them to go away to create a better surface.

So what would my next steps be?

thanks,
View attachment 500973View attachment 500974View attachment 500975
Hello CJC73,

I am seeing this thread for the first time, so if you have finished your project I hope it came out well. If you are looking for a vintage finish, posted below is the procedure by John Kay for a true oil finish. Mr. Kay has long since passed but his stock work was some of the best. I have finished several stocks using this procedure with boiled linseed oil with a bit or dye or stain infused to give it the desired color.

STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR
OIL FINISHING WOOD WITH PRE-64 RED-BROWN STOCK OIL

By John Kay.

Pre 64 Red-Brown Stock Oil highlights the natural Red-Brown color of American Black Walnut.
The stain is in the oil, giving a deep penetrating non-fading color. This Oil comes uncut, AND HAS TO BE
THINNED, 1 part 100% Mineral Spirits to1 part Oil. We use an empty and cleaned shampoo bottle or dish
detergent bottle to thin and store the oil. Pour the 4 ounce bottle of oil into this bigger bottle, and then fill
the empty Oil bottle with 100% mineral spirits, and pour on top of the Oil. Shake and you have 8 OZ. of
ready to use shop oil. Its been said a beautiful hand rubbed oil finish is not on the wood, its in the wood.
This is true, and the oil can penetrate the wood a lot easier if its thinned.

But logic tells us if we don't thin the oil, put on a heavier thicker coat of oil, we can get a faster
build up, and finish the job a lot quicker. But a coat of thinned oil will dry faster, and allow another coat to
be put on faster. In fact so much faster, that by the time the thicker coat of oil has dried, we have put on
enough thinned coats to more than equal the thickness of that one thicker coat ? ? ?.

Oil dries on the surface first, and the hard thin surface shell can fool you into thinking the oil is dry,
so we put on another coat. After about three of these thick coats have been put on, because the surface felt
dry, the wet oil under the surface starts coming up to the surface, and the surface now feels wet and waxy.
It will take a good three months for this mess to completely dry, if it in fact ever dries. And it will be
embedded with dust, lint, pet hair, homo sapiens hair, and any other fine particles it has come in contact
with. A finish with all this embedded material in it looks horrible.

But with thinned oil you are applying a microscopic thin coat, and particles in the air will not stick to
it. Put the thinned oil on this morning, forget about particles in the air. Next morning easily brush off any particles clinging to the stock with your hand, because non of them will be embedded in the finish. If you
are thick skulled, maybe you should read the above again. I had to experience it again and again a few times
myself, before I got it through my thick skull.

Many of our regular customers, some custom builders, thin the oil 2 parts thinner to 1 part oil. We
personally like this double thinning better, because the thinner the oil, the faster it will dry, especially in the
high humidity we have here in Wisconsin. We would thin it for you and ship it ready to use, EXCEPT
mineral spirits are flammable and could only be shipped as hazardous material. And this really complicates
shipping, as to difficulty, expense, and slower ground service only.

To prepare your stock for refinish, use paint stripper, such as Zip Strip or Strip-Eze to remove the
old finish. If you sand off the old finish, you usually cut too much wood, and if the stock is a two piece like
a Model 12, or a lever rifle, the wood will not still stand a little proud over the metal, when you put it back
on. If the metal stands proud over the wood, any idiot knows its a refinish, and it looks like manure.

We put the stripper on with a small throw away paint brush, we buy at our local hardware for 25
cents. Let the stripper set about 30 minutes, wipe off with 0000 steel wool. If you have one of the newer
epoxy based finishes, the old finish can be really difficult to remove. Next we give the stock a bath with Mineral spirits or warm soapy water. We use a tooth brush to scrub out old finish from checkering and Inletting. This wet bath causes the wood to swell. Small nicks and dents can miraculously disappear from this swelling. Larger ones are easier to sand off after this bath. BE CAREFUL SANDING, don't do the whole stock, just lightly wet sand the nicks and dings. And a stock some fifty years old or better, will look more real with a few small nicks and dings left in it. This gives the stock character. Let the stock dry 24 hrs before starting to finish.

Now that the stock is prepared for finish, you will need an oil dish. We like those plastic bowls that butter or margarine comes in. They have a snap on lid. And these bowls have a big flat base, not as easy to accidentally tip over on the table. Next get some 320 and 400 WET/DRY sand paper. This is black paper. Cut it into approximately one inch squares with scissors. Pour some THINNED shop oil in your bowl.

I use my fingers to apply a sloppy wet coat of oil. Then dip one of your 320 sand paper squares into the oil, and start to sand lightly with finger tip pressure. The wet oil will act as a lubricant, and you will not be cutting much wood with this wet sanding. You will be making wood flour from your stocks wood, and using that wood flour to fill the pores. The wet sanding will force wood flour into the pores. This wet sanding will cause a black paste to form, from the sanding dust, the oil, and oxidation. By the time the paste forms, you will feel the paper wear out, quit making sanding dust. Get a fresh square of sand paper and continue. Apply a wet coat of oil over the black paste, let set 20 to 30 minutes, wipe off with a paper towel. Don't be too particular about the wipe off, if you leave the stock a little dirty, it will do you more good than harm. LET SET TWO DAYS TO DRY. Then repeat another coat of wet sanding in, and LET DRY TWO DAYS BETWEEN EACH COAT. Put on three coats of this wet sanding in with 320, then switch to 400 sand paper and wet sand in two more coats. Your stock will now be silky smooth, and the PORES WILL BE FILLED. The better the job you do filling the pores, the faster and easier the job will be to finish. Now the job gets a lot easier, there is no more sanding. Put the stock aside for a few days or even a week, to make sure the oil has completely dried deep down in the pores.

For the finish coats use only a very small minute amount of oil, apply with your finger tips, and rub in with the heal of your hand. There should be no oil left to wipe off from finishing coats, because its all rubbed in. Again, let set two days between coats.

Your wood may not look like much for the first few finishing coats, but the beauty will soon start to show. And your stock will get more beautiful with each coat. You will know when you are done, you will have a beautiful, soft, smooth as silk satin sheen. It takes us about 30 days, here in our shop to start and completely finish a stock .Some wood can take a little longer to finish, and I don't know why. But if you run into a piece of this stubborn wood, just keep going, and it will eventually finish.

Oil is $21.85 a bottle, and the $21.85 includes the shipping. Four ounce bottle thins to 12 ounces, enough for a couple full stocks. We take major credit cards, money orders, personal checks. If you had rather we do it for you, we charge $250 to finish a butt and forearm, or a one piece rifle stock. If you decide to do it yourself, you will find out why we charge $250 to do it, but there's nothing all that difficult about it. If we can do it, you can do it, but it does take some practice to get the hang of it, and it does take some time. John Kay

WINCHESTER RESTORATIONS
608-248-2965 FAX 612-605-0024 WWW.WINREST.COM
256 W. 19TH ST., BUFFALO CITY, WI 54622

THIS OIL IS JUST AS BEAUTIFUL, AND JUST AS DURABLE, ON ANTIQUE FURNITURE, AS IT IS ON GUN STOCKS, AND INSTRUCTIONS ARE THE SAME. JOHN KAY

Last edited:
Great advice all...thank you...

I was hand rubbing the oil in. Some coats I'd dab the oil on withy finger then use my palm to rub it in. Also, during the first 10 coats or so, I was wet sanding with 400/600/.... Didn't seem to be filling in any pores, or at least it didn't look that way.

I didn't like the way the pores were still not filled after so many coats of oil. So I sanded it down with 320 and now trying to get as much oil out before I start over. Sandpaper is gumming up quick while I do it now.

I'm going to use some permalyn sealer to fill in the pores and go from there. Just curious as to how far do I have to take it down before I start in with the sealer. This is where it's at now. The first picture is where I tried using some light heat to draw out the oil.

View attachment 519607View attachment 519608View attachment 519609
Don't wet sand the oil itself from the stock and the dust will help fill in the poor's. If you're using the oil as wet sanding, all you're doing is wiping it again. You need to send it without anything but the sandpaper it will take time. I had at least 15 to 20 Coats on my gun stock before it got glossy. I prefer Lindseed oil. It works better.

I would think they would be compatible but have not used Arrow. I looked up the Arrow and their site doesn't specify other than oils with fillers.

I would strip it until there isn't anything left that would show on the new finish then test compatibility down in the barrel channel where it won't show if there is an issue. I suspect Permalyn will go right over the other oil. Permalyn is doing the same thing but with the Linseed oil and clear urethane setting up to fill the holes. The urethane also gives water resistance and stops the oil from continuing to soak as deep. It's a great product.

The figure on your stock is very nice. I really like how the grain rolls nicely into the leading edge of the raised cheek.

So strip it down to bare wood? Any tips other than just keep sanding it with 320?

I have been using unfinished stocks from Boyds for Years. Normally I would use a laminates stock for its rigidity. This said I have done a few in a natural wood. I have only one in the Black Walnut. In the beginning I used hand rubbed Tung Oil but depending on the color of the stock the Tung Oil can have a slight yellow tint. My more recent projects are now done in hand rubbed Polyurethane which is perfectly clear. Both of these products are available from ACE Hardware and give you a choice between Gloss and Satin finish. I like the Satin Finish.

I am a hunter, and I will end up with a scratch or dent in the stock at times and it is easily removed with 00 steel wool or wet rag and an iron and a new wipe with either of these products. If it is too pretty, I feel bad about taking it outside and that's a waste of money.

You should be comfortable with your final product. Good Luck.

Attachments

• IMG_1131.JPG
    IMG_1131.JPG
    386 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1132.JPG
    IMG_1132.JPG
    376.8 KB · Views: 58
Nice examples of finishing in here. I just finished repairing a broken toe section and recoil plate of my dad's Remington 22lr. I used Tru oil as well. It was a lesson for the first time I tried it that worked very well.
Wish success for the OP on this beautiful stock.

Very nice tables there. Yep, agree with you, never cared much for those overly glossy Weatherby rigs. Satin and hand rubbed oil finishes have a bit higher class look.
Thank you. I love the grain of wood and some stuff does look great with a glossy finish, but for me a gun stock that will be used should be satin or less. A gloss with the sun hitting correctly may not allow for a good view through the scope or iron sights. I shoot with both eyes open so the reflection of a glossy stock can be problematic. If I had a gun that was a safe queen then a glossy stock would be an option.

I've refinished several stocks over the last ten or so years. A couple things I do, one is use 3M sanding pads instead of steel wool, some steel wools have oil on them, some don't. For the finish I really Minwax satin Wipe On Poly, easy to apply and provides a nice low sheen, yet still highlights the grain.

Very nice peice of wood buddy . Sand and fill , and sand and fill. May need to fill the pours three or 4 times, then sand or buff with 2000 to 3000 grits, wet. I made myself a dryer out of a cardboard box. You might like this. You will need.
#1 New Large Clean Cardboard box (Home Depot ) #2. 24inch square A/C filter # 3 Duct tape. # 24 inch square piece of cardboard for the opposite end. Open up the box, do not close the end flaps, Tape the AC Filter to one open end of the box , cut a 3 inch hole in the center of the 24 inch square piece of card board, and tape it to the other open end of the box. Then stick you shop vac, hose in that hole. Cut a small door in the side of the box. Open small the door and put small blocks of wood in the box. Take you stock wet with filler or finish and gently rest it on blocks or hang it with a coat hanger inside your homemade dryer. Close the door on the side and tape it so no air leaks in or out. Turn on the Shop Vac. Now air is being sucked in to the box through the A.C filter, Clean air passing along the wood stock, and out through the Shop Vac hose. 4 to 6 hours dry time, little to no dust particles. I do that between each coat. Even if I go with a Poly for hunting rifles, 5 , 6 ,or more coats may be needed. Thats up to your taste in wood finish. I like it better than open air drying. When I'm Done I save the A/ C Filter, throw the box away . Good for painted projects too. Just my 2 cents Buddy . best of luck on your project

So I bought this stock unfinished and got shaped the way I want, bottom metal and action have been bedded by me. I've sanded to 400 grit and applied a heavy coat of Arrow oil and these marks became visible and arose a few questions for those with a lot more experience than me.

1. Are the vertical marks (a couple in the butt area and the ones by my hand in the second picture) tooling marks left by who cut the stock? If so, do I just sand that area more and try to remove them?
2. The black areas on the cheek piece; is that just a characteristic of walnut (stock is claro walnut)?
3. The small black spots and lines all over the stock; are these wood pores? When I sanded, I didn't wipe off any of the dust and oiled over it, thinking it would fill in the pores with the dust (was told this by an experienced stock builder/finisher). Well, obviously they're still there and I'd like them to go away to create a better surface.

So what would my next steps be?

thanks,
View attachment 500973View attachment 500974View attachment 500975
Great looking stock. I started gunsmithing back in the 1970s and finished many stocks. I would use a damp cloth and wipe it down. That would raise the grain not real wet. Allow to dry. Then 0000, steel wool. To smooth. I use multiple coats of Tru-oil using my fingers. Do several coats when dry, lightly with 0000 steel wool to remove any bumps. Tru-oil fills the poor when you spread with your fingers. Glass smooth with the grain enhanced. I used this in the 70s and my 338 and other wood stocks still looks good . As many coats as needed. Tru Oil is easy to repair scratches.

I prefer MinWax Wipe On Poly, as J- 61.

IMG_1417.JPG

No need to agonize with more than 8-10 coats. First coat dries in less than 8 hours with normal room temps & humidity. Shallow scratches & dings may be sanded out & patched up without refinishing entire stock.

This is an example of relatively open grain American black walnut. Note the excellent grain flow & nice figure. I added the cherry wood for-end tip some years later and did a refinish. The stock is about 20 years old.

Claro walnut may have a more open grain than black walnut. Four coats filled the pores of this stock & the next 4 achieved the required finish. I like 320 grit sandpaper for final sand over finish providing a relatively quick, easy & certain result. Preliminary sanding is done with 100 grit using an orbital power sander - this makes for nice flat & even surfaces but be real careful to not destroy intended sharp edges or remove more wood than intended.

After that hand sanding using 150-200 grit then 320 grit to finish, sanding between coats. The last coat rubbed down without sanding. I prefer sandpaper over steel wool thinking that sandpaper makes for a flatter more even surface. My thinking is that steel wool is best used for cleaning surfaces. Apply Poly Rub with lint free soft cloth wearing nitrile gloves. Poly Rub resists turning yellow with age.

I shake the Wipe On can well before use and tightly cap after use. One small can will finish 8-10 stocks at less than $20. The finish is tough & durable, able to stand up to many rodent shoots with gritty hands & hot temps and/or cold wet use. Poly rub is an advanced polyurethane compound containing drying agents. Poly rub works good for touch ups on wood floors - able to handle dirty shoe foot traffic. I used Poly Rub on a bar top exposed to all sorts of sticky spilled drinks then wiped clean with soapy water.

Maple & other woods having tighter & smaller pores are faster to fill & finish.

Bastogne walnut is my favorite stock wood. It has a relatively small pore size and is easy to work with chisels & scrapers.

Richards is a 5-star, first rate company. I have many Richards stocks. Their inletting is masterful. requiring little work. Grain flow is always more than adequate. I like their "select grade" stocks with Bastogne as the wood species. The grain flow on the select grade stocks is excellent.

Last edited:
I like MinWax Wipe On Poly

View attachment 519759

No need to agonize with more than 8-10 coats. First coat dries in less than 8 hours with normal room temps & humidity. Shallow scratches & dings may be sanded out the patched up without refinishing entire stock.

This is an example of relatively open grain American black walnut. Note the excellent grain flow & nice figure. I added the cherry wood for-end tip some years later and did a refinish. The stock is about 20 years old.

Claro walnut may have a more open grain than black walnut. Four coats filled the pores of this stock & the next 4 achieved the required finish. I like 320 grit sandpaper for final sand over finish providing a relatively quick, easy & certain result. Preliminary sanding is done with 100 grit using an orbital power sander - this makes for nice flat & even surfaces but be real careful to not destroy intended sharp edges or remove more wood than intended.

After that hand sanding using 150-200 grit then 320 grit to finish, sanding between coats. The last coat rubbed down without sanding. I prefer sandpaper over steel wool thinking that sandpaper makes for a flatter more even surface. My thinking is that steel wool is best used for cleaning surfaces.

I shake the Wipe On can well before use and tightly cap after use. One small can will finish 8-10 stocks at less than $20. The finish is tough & durable, able to stand up to many rodent shoots with gritty hands & hot temps and/or cold wet use. Poly rub is a polyurethane compound containing drying agents.

Maple & other woods having tighter & smaller pores are faster to fill & finish.

Bastogne walnut is my favorite stock wood. It has a relatively small pore size and is easy to work with chisels & scrapers.

Richards is a 5-star, first rate company. I have many Richards stocks. Their inletting is masterful. requiring little work. Grain flow is always more than adequate. I like their "select grade" stocks with Bastogne as the wood species. The grain flow on the select grade stocks is excellent.
Bastogne is stunning and usually comes with a breath taking price tag. It has beautiful movement in the grain and colors

quick update and a question;

not sure how many coats I'm on but it's starting to shine in some spots but there are streaks of where it's not. It's like as soon as I put on the oil, it is dry immediately and has a duller look where as the other spots you can tell it's sitting on top of the last coat.

Any ideas?

View attachment 515056View attachment 515057
Hi CJ,
What you are seeing are the different denisities of the wood. The Fiddleback or Flame is created where the tree was stressed by wind and as the tree flexed back and forth sections of the grain were compacted and flexed over an over again. This creates ribbons of higher density cellulose and hence the pattern. As you apply the finish, the less dense areas soak up the oil more readily than the higher density areas. Be sure not to apply too much finish as you will create a thick layer that becomes gummy and does not dry effectively. Be sure to take is slow and rub in between coats with a bit of hand pressure to removing excess. Let it soak in overnight and then apply another coat. Taking it slow and rubbing it in will ensure your finish becomes uniform and dense without tackiness over time. As you build layers, the different soak rates will stop and it will become one uniform finish.