Gunsmith - anyone here have a reference?

ANARCHIST

http://www.montourcountyrifles.com/

My son had weatherby inc make a total mess of his accumark, two trips back and the rifle imo is junk right it off for parts.

My son broke the scope base screw off in the forward most hole, yes the one with the barrel threads, not trusting anyone but the actual manu "Weatherby" he paid stupid money to ship the rifle back & agreed to pay whatever to have the screw removed.

First return it looks as though the drill bit walked across the receiver and onto the barrel leaving a nasty gouge. must of tried again and this time the screw is drilled off center so obviously the 6-xx screw will not tighten. we are looking at the above mentioned smith to drill the holes to 8-40 in hope the rifle can be saved from the scrap pile, anyone ever use this gunsmith? is it worth the trouble or should we just parts the rifle & never deal with Weatherby again.

Any advice appreciated.

oh yes pictures are available as well as Weatherby gunsmith stating he is using an oversized 6-xx screw in the stripped hole?

My son had weatherby inc make a total mess of his accumark, two trips back and the rifle imo is junk right it off for parts.

My son broke the scope base screw off in the forward most hole, yes the one with the barrel threads, not trusting anyone but the actual manu "Weatherby" he paid stupid money to ship the rifle back & agreed to pay whatever to have the screw removed.

First return it looks as though the drill bit walked across the receiver and onto the barrel leaving a nasty gouge. must of tried again and this time the screw is drilled off center so obviously the 6-xx screw will not tighten. we are looking at the above mentioned smith to drill the holes to 8-40 in hope the rifle can be saved from the scrap pile, anyone ever use this gunsmith? is it worth the trouble or should we just parts the rifle & never deal with Weatherby again.

Any advice appreciated.

oh yes pictures are available as well as Weatherby gunsmith stating he is using an oversized 6-xx screw in the stripped hole?

Experience with LANE PRECISION RIFLES. In 2017 I sent Dallas Lane a $3500 deposit for a custom rifle... "LEFT" hand, w/ Defiance action, McMillan stock and Proof sendero "LIGHT" barrel...all the bells & whistles. Mr. Lane promised the rifle would be completed in 8-9 months.

I waited patiently. Mr. Lane never called prior to assembly and never sent any photos of parts or build progress reports. Nearly 15 MONTHS later, he sent me a message with a photo that said "build complete, need FFL and balance". The photo showed a RIGHT handed bolt and a HEAVY Proof barrel. I called to tell him that he had built the wrong rifle and left messages but he never returned any of them. Mr. Lane later sent me a full refund at my request.

Last edited:
Kevin is a respected gunsmith and can handle your project properly as long as there is material available to add the larger screw size. I suggest calling him to discuss your problem then make your decision. Be aware that there are literally dozens of good gunsmiths in PA so a good search engine should get you a list.

Any advice appreciated.

It sounds like they tried to fix it without taking the barrel out of the action (The wrong way to fix this problem) the hole must be open all the way through to do a proper job. Also "all holes" should be increased in size to eights or tens. If the hole is drilled off center, all holes should be milled for proper alignment.

Your pick of a smith should be a good one and he will do everything right to solve your problems.

J E CUSTOM

UPDATE: A few weeks after my post above (and a complaint to the Idaho Attorney General's Office, Consumer Protection Div.) Mr. Lane refunded the full remaining balance of my deposit. I am pleased that he did so and have withdrawn my complaint with the AG. Mr. Lane asked me to remove this post completely but after re-reading it, there isn't any part of it that is false...it's just what happened, plain and simple. I told Mr. Lane that I would remove any part that was false and he has failed to assert any. We all make mistakes and, hopefully, learn from them. No hard feelings.

At least you have gotten resolution to your problem, missed delivery dates and lack of communication seem to be the norm for a few well known smiths.

I have had Kevin @ MCR build or re-build several rifles for me over the years. Every one of them shoots up to my expectations or better. I have also had him do a variety of gunsmithing projects and been very pleased with the work.
If you live in PA you can just visit him at the shop. I live in NY but drive to his shop to drop off and pick up my rifles. I'm not big on shipping expensive rifles back and forth.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts