Found a deal on a rifle stock, now have some questions.

streetglideok

Found a deal on a rifle stock, now have some questions.
I found a deal on a NIB or at least it looks brand new factory stock for the Winchester Laredo. Had to relieve a tiny amount of material around the bottom for the magazine box to fit, otherwise though it fit right in. I am running a sporter barrel, so there is some gap around the barrel, which I expected. The two questions I have, when I pulled the action from the composite stock, there was some epoxy like substance around the recoil lug. I pulled it off in order to get the action to fit into the aluminum bedding block. Do I need to put some kind of bedding compound in the stock with this setup? Finally, I dont see any screws holding the recoil pad on the back. Though its supposed to be made by HS precision, the pad says winchester on it. Is it glued on, and if so, whats the best way to remove it so I can put my limbsaver pad on it?
progress.gif

That rubbery glue is winchesters answer to epoxy bedding. Rebedding it will help hold the barreled action in place to prevent shifting in the stock with recoil.

The pad is likly glued on. use a thin short bladed nife to cut the pad off at the pad stock seam. once you get the blade started it should release pretty easy. If the stock side chips a bit sand the butt end flat with a disc sander and reinstal the new pad. If you screw it on you may need to build up the inside with epoxy and let set so you can drill two pilot holes and instal the screws.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts