Any Stock Finishers here ? I have a couple questions

Here it is with about 18 coats of the finish oil.

PXL_20231108_175150485.jpgPXL_20231108_175131495.jpg

I've re finished a few gun stocks in the past decade. 1st one was the hardest because I was sure I was about to mess it up. But the owner said its a piece of wood. You can start over if you make a mistake. The hardest are the ones someone painted. Getting all the paint out of the checkering. Lots of paint remover. Local GS owner hands me rifles and shotguns from time to time to re finish. Last one was a model 70 win. Nice gun, well abused.

This is a really nice piece of wood. If you finish properly it will look like a million bucks!
I have finished/refinished a lot of stock in my time.
Do it right the first time and you probably won't want to take it out of your home.
Send us a PM if you want to discuss.
Thanks and I am sure that you will do a beautiful job on this.
Len & Jill
PM me
That's about right!😁
The other is you need to seal the inside of the stock. No bare wood or your stock can swell and change your POI in wet or freezing weather.
It does take a lot of sanding and steel wood and the finer you get the better the job and more coats. Your sanding you'll need a great many stepdowns Save your sanded wood and use it to fill the voids with a mix of true-Oil and add to the void if any.

quick update and a question;

not sure how many coats I'm on but it's starting to shine in some spots but there are streaks of where it's not. It's like as soon as I put on the oil, it is dry immediately and has a duller look where as the other spots you can tell it's sitting on top of the last coat.

Any ideas?

PXL_20231127_184703365.jpgPXL_20231127_184712785.jpg

Wood is an unknown. Those streaks look like the tree may have had perfect weather, With plenty of rain for a few years and the wood grew faster and has more pores in it. May take several coats to fill the pores till the finish will set on top the wood, And stop soaking into the wood.

Most good stock wood hunters look for trees growing on high dry areas with poor soil. The wood grows slow very narrow growth rings, Very solid wood.

not sure how many coats I'm on but it's starting to shine in some spots but there are streaks of where it's not. It's like as soon as I put on the oil, it is dry immediately and has a duller look where as the other spots you can tell it's sitting on top of the last coat.

Any ideas?

View attachment 515056View attachment 515057
The wood is still soaking up your finish. Keep going with it.

Your stock looks great. Depends on what you want your final finish to look like. If you want the matte finish then I'd do a light sanding with 800 grit paper between coat. Even though the finish is mostly soaking in some (shiny spots) is building on top, this will keep the stock smooth. If you want a glossy finish (glass like) then get some 800, 1500, 2000, & 3000 grit paper. After getting the matte finish continue adding finish while moving to finer sand paper. What you are seeing in the woods is characteristics of walnut, those characteristics are sought out and typically cost more.

Any ideas?
I'd say if it's drying immediately, that maybe it'd benefit you to step up the amount of oil you're putting on each coat a little.
Or another option may be to rub it longer. Instead of just giving it a coat, keep rubbing it with oil until it looks completely Wet and even and then let it dry