Any reliable testing that Lapua Brass is superior to all others?

Has anyone looked at the equipment lists for registered IBS or NBRSA or world records to see what brass was being used by the winners, top shooters and record setters? Maybe that would qualify for quantifiable, objectively based rationale for doing so?

I received my order of 100 Lapua brass in .223, Lot #P01136801 last week. In my subsequent inspection & prep I noted the following info in regards to quality:
Case weights 69.9g - 95.6g 1.3 g variation, neck thickness max variation .0013 (only 2, discarded), the vast majority were .0005" or less, Case lengths were 1.753" + or - .003", flash hole de-burring was an exercise in futility in that a bore scope inspection of several dozen cases revealed a clean interior edge of the flash holes. I still de-burred all 100 cases as I prefer a known consistent radius on my flash holes, all cases had a consistent feel to my K&M cutter.
That being said, I feel good knowing that all the remaining reloading variables are manipulated from consistency of these cases. Worth the extra $$ to me.

There's no one brand that makes everything the best. I've used Lapua,Norma, Peterson and Alpha Brass and had excellent results. But I've also seen every one of them make a bad batch of brass that's made it past QC. I probably buy about 1,000 pieces of new brass every year so I'm not just talking about one small batch. I personally like Peterson brass better but that doesn't make the others poor choices. I haven't used ADG but have buddies that swear by it. If you are only comparing it to Remington, Federal and Winchester then it's going to be the winner. If you compare it to other High end brass it's probably going to depend on the cartridge you are using. Is it the best? I don't think so. It is one of the best though!!!

Has anyone looked at the equipment lists for registered IBS or NBRSA or world records to see what brass was being used by the winners, top shooters and record setters? Maybe that would qualify for quantifiable, objectively based rationale for doing so?
That's a good start but it's going to be skewed because the newer companies aren't going to have had a chance for shooters to set as many records with their products.

It would be hard to backup a claim of Lapua being superior to all others. Some of it depends on the cartridge. Some of it depends on the chamber and intended load pressures.
In 6br I've seen from best to worst and back in Lapua, depending on brass lots.

I can say one thing for sure; dismiss all declarations that Lapua brass needs less preps.
That's a lie
Want back up? how's this. I am not a hunter. I shoot exclusivley in 1,000 + compatitions, have been for 16 years. In thoes years I have shot and reloades abou 30,000 rounts and shot out a few barrels as well. I have shot and reloaded every brass brand both domestic and import. I can honestly tell you that not one brand has come close to the consistancy and durability of Lapua brass. One of the worst has been Federal and Hornady, sorry. best bulletts have been, in order of preformance, Lapua Senar, Berger, tied with Siera. I shoot Sako TRG rifles as well as Tikka T3X and custom actions from Defiance, Mauser and the old Win Mod 70's.
Lapua is said to be too expensive, not really true. when you calculate the number of reloads (with quality results) I get from Lapua, they tie with other popular brass.

Hang around with the the bench rest and F class crowd and you may hear the same opinion. I'm going to research your original question, but, keep this in mind. You will bet much much more truthful reporting from shooters in Europe and Australia. The U.S. Manufacturers in the U.S.A pump far too much money into the sport to really get honest reporting. Factory loads! here's a suprise, pretty good results from, of all brands, Winchester Match! Not Lapua, but **** good factor ammo.

Agreed, if you want to find out what the best brass is, look up what brass the best shooters use. That will tell you everything you need to know.

Want back up? how's this. I am not a hunter.
This is LONG RANGE HUNTING.com

I have nothing against Lapua. No complaints.
But I make my cases what they will be (successful or otherwise). I pick diamonds out of the rough, polish them with my chambers, and could care less about the brand of rubble I dug them out of.
And keep in mind that we have ALL choices here in the USA

I will definitely choose Lapua over the factory brass suppliers if it is available for my given cartridge. After many years of use in many different cartridges, my general observation has been that Lapua has better consistency(batch and lot) in weight, dimension, as well as good case life. While the chambering dimension is also a factor in this aspect, I have generally found the requirement to anneal is less getting as many as 20 reloads without annealing in my 223, 6.5x47, 6mmAR(necked down Grendel), and 6.5CM competition loads...with no material change in accuracy or ES. Just my experiences..

Don't want a "Consensus" as this is not a global warming question. If I ever switch to Laura, I want a quantifiable, objectively based rationale for doing so.
Don't want a "Consensus" as this is not a global warming question. If I ever switch to Laura, I want a quantifiable, objectively based rationale for doing so.
Perhaps if you did an analysis side by side you just may be surprised. By using the case capacity water drop test you may find the Lapua brass is a little more consistent from case to case (fill capacity wise). If you check the neck wall's ID you will find that because of the costs incurred during the manufacturing process that the T.I.R. of the neck has been held to a closer tolerance. Again by comparing cases from different manufacturers even though they are held to S.A.M.M.I . specs they will show variances. Some cases will be more than others . Lapula dimensions vary but by a smaller amount and show more consistency from lot to lot . Examination of the cartridge bases will show a tighter control over web thickness, and primer flash holes internally have very little to none as far as burrs are concerned. Finally all brass manufactures use different formulas during the brass fabrication process. I have found that the Lapua brass just plain stands up longer while reloading then other brass especially when said brass is
repeatably being expanded to your chambers dimensions,then being FL resized and shoulder bumped to fit your rifle.It has been my opinion that you can achieve a longer case life(reloading wise) by starting with quality components. Please don't misunderstand me there are company's like Norma, Speer , Horandy, Starline, Remington ,Winchester and others that offer brass hulls for sale and they are all quite good. I just prefer Lapua brass for the reasons mentioned above.
Hope this helps !

Well as a resident new guy I will give my evidence, I started with a 22-250 rifle that was just one in a million accurate out of the box. With a skim bed job only, no trick parts at all it shot mid ones to mid twos off a bench at 100yds 3 shot extreme spread less caliber dia. They were loads with powder, charge, primer type, and bullet arrived at thru trial error.

The brass happened to be Winchester which I did what I call match prepped (weight sorted-primer flash holes deburred-trimmed-and necks checked and chamber formed) I was stupid lucky and it worked. Someone asked if I had tried Lapua the best brass out there, hmm I got some and tried the exact same load in them, it shot threes to fours:( now I didn't try tweaking all the other parts of the load I had already dialed in so my bad I guess. Shooting buddy said go back to Winchester and call it good,I did. Not scientific but very result driven.

Next caliber I started with Winchester brass and some Norma I came across,the loads worked better in the Norma. No pattern for sure I thought, Next two calibers loved Lapua, I'm confused now cause I'm trying other brass also each time. can't find one to go with it seems.

Lapua is easier to weight sort and closer in weight, Norma don't last as well as Winchester and Lapua. This reloading never gets boring. My gunsmith friend talks about case capacity and pressures being different, I imagine a lot of posters on this site know better than me, All I can say is that I'm result driven and I can't find one brand of brass that's always better. Dave

Last edited:
In the 6.5x284 I just switched to lapua after Nosler and Norma.
Both the Nosler and Norma did better than expected considering how fast I pushed them.
I like the lapua brass, but I do actually check, measure and prep the lapua just like any other brass.
In the 338 lapua we actually switched from lapua brass to GWT brass. It actually holds up as good if not better at 1/2 the cost. But the small company only has a selecton few calibers.
Shoot what ever you gun likes. All of mine puke on Hornady.

A few observations are in order since I started this discussion with reference to the term "consensus". First, we all have a built-in bias. Mine, "I hate the Packers." I owe that to my Father, who was a Lion's fan. What we as a group may "feel" is not objective proof that Lapua brass is the best. What most of the top shooters use is not objective evidence of anything other than that's what they use. (If I got it free, I would use it, wouldn't you?) Some posts have gotten close to the type of test/study that would suggest that the quality of Lapua is outstanding to say the least but apparently no one has yet to conduct testing that takes into consideration all of the desired attributes in brass in general that could be quantified by controlled testing. An independent lab/test facility would be needed to preserve impartiality. The testing at a minimum would have to include a significantly large sample of brass from, let's say, 10 manufacturers. The specific cartridge to be tested would probably need to be one that operates on the high-end of the pressure scale and would likely need to include both large and small primer brass. All brass used would be identically prepped, whether we think it is needed or not. A single bullet brand/style would have to be utilized as well as a primer/powder and load would be essential. All loads fired out of the same rifle under the same atmospheric conditions. Then we would apply some method of objectively measuring the desired attributes of brass, eg, longevity, primer pocket integrity, casehead expansion etc....
If I missed anything, let all of us know. Until this information becomes available we can all continue to make are own decisions based on whatever criteria we choose to believe.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts