Any reliable testing that Lapua Brass is superior to all others?

A few observations are in order since I started this discussion with reference to the term "consensus". First, we all have a built-in bias. Mine, "I hate the Packers." I owe that to my Father, who was a Lion's fan. What we as a group may "feel" is not objective proof that Lapua brass is the best. What most of the top shooters use is not objective evidence of anything other than that's what they use. (If I got it free, I would use it, wouldn't you?) Some posts have gotten close to the type of test/study that would suggest that the quality of Lapua is outstanding to say the least but apparently no one has yet to conduct testing that takes into consideration all of the desired attributes in brass in general that could be quantified by controlled testing. An independent lab/test facility would be needed to preserve impartiality. The testing at a minimum would have to include a significantly large sample of brass from, let's say, 10 manufacturers. The specific cartridge to be tested would probably need to be one that operates on the high-end of the pressure scale and would likely need to include both large and small primer brass. All brass used would be identically prepped, whether we think it is needed or not. A single bullet brand/style would have to be utilized as well as a primer/powder and load would be essential. All loads fired out of the same rifle under the same atmospheric conditions. Then we would apply some method of objectively measuring the desired attributes of brass, eg, longevity, primer pocket integrity, casehead expansion etc....
If I missed anything, let all of us know. Until this information becomes available we can all continue to make are own decisions based on whatever criteria we choose to believe.

Agreed with most of your points here. It would take quite a bit of effort to really prove anything.

With regards to seeing what the best shooters use, I think world records arent being set without high quality cases. If you could find info on what components are generating the records, that is something worth paying attention to.

Another thing that I would say is that the measurements to test the brass should be taken without extensive preperation, such as primer pocket/hole uniforming and neck turning. One of the major advantages of the high quality brass is the consistency dimensionally without modification. Not to say that you couldnt improve other cases to be as good, but thats not the point.

Last edited:
A few observations are in order since I started this discussion with reference to the term "consensus". First, we all have a built-in bias. Mine, "I hate the Packers." I owe that to my Father, who was a Lion's fan. What we as a group may "feel" is not objective proof that Lapua brass is the best. What most of the top shooters use is not objective evidence of anything other than that's what they use. (If I got it free, I would use it, wouldn't you?) Some posts have gotten close to the type of test/study that would suggest that the quality of Lapua is outstanding to say the least but apparently no one has yet to conduct testing that takes into consideration all of the desired attributes in brass in general that could be quantified by controlled testing. An independent lab/test facility would be needed to preserve impartiality. The testing at a minimum would have to include a significantly large sample of brass from, let's say, 10 manufacturers. The specific cartridge to be tested would probably need to be one that operates on the high-end of the pressure scale and would likely need to include both large and small primer brass. All brass used would be identically prepped, whether we think it is needed or not. A single bullet brand/style would have to be utilized as well as a primer/powder and load would be essential. All loads fired out of the same rifle under the same atmospheric conditions. Then we would apply some method of objectively measuring the desired attributes of brass, eg, longevity, primer pocket integrity, casehead expansion etc....
If I missed anything, let all of us know. Until this information becomes available we can all continue to make are own decisions based on whatever criteria we choose to believe.
So when I say this I'm being hostile...be careful

The only experience I've had with Lapua brass has been with my 260 Remington.
The Lapua brass I purchased & use has been more consistent but I'm only comparing it to Nosler, Federal, & Remington.

I doubt you will find scientific evidence with some sort of in-depth case study as Scientist & Case Studiers seem more focused on those things like Global Warming.

Mayhaps you know of a better manufacturer?
Always had good luck with Remington so far even in 300 Weatherby and 22 Long rifle.

I had been using Lapua .308win brass for several years and was satisfied with it. When Starline starting producing .308 brass I jumped right on their band wagon and haven't looked back. Once the new Starline cases are completely prepped they are amazingly consistent in weight. Out of 1000 that I bought I took one out of every 50, recorded a before weight, filled with water and recorded an after weight. Internal case volume was very consistent with variations of + / - 0.8%. I held out a group of 10 and targeted those for repeated reloadings to see how they held up. After 10 reloadings there was no indicators of undue stress and very similar effort was needed to seat bullets and I even did a test pulling bullets with a collet type puller and they required similar effort to accomplish. Accuracy has been excellent, velocities have tiny differences over 50 shots. Whether I got lucky and got a great bunch of brass off of brand new manufacturing equipment or there brass is just that good. I won't look anywhere else for .308 brass. I can't wait til they come out with .270win brass. I hope it is as consistent and reliable.

Never forget these 3 rules of "fact" Every barrel is different, due to that it would be close to impossible to arrive at a totally positive conclusion in any case or on any rifle. Take your pick, spend the mony and find what works for you the best. More than once I have tried what was the "advertised or reviewd best of ANYTHING" and walked away very dissapointed. Real conclusion! Some of us prefer Blonds, some Brunetts, my pick would be Red Heads! NAME YOUR POISEN.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts