Any places to shoot long range in Virginia?

I THINK that they WERE building a potential 1000 yard rang at the Kettlefoot Range near Abingdon but a flood washed it all out a couple of years ago. I don't know where they stand now.

They're still working on it almost every weekend, but I don't think they know when it will be open. Lots of us are anxiously waiting to shoot on it.

Old post, but does anyone know any place for long range shooting in South East Virginia? I'm in Smithfield VA 23430. I would like a longer range than what I use now, Lafayette Gun Club in Yorktown, Va. It's a great club, but it's longest range is just 100 yards. A 600 yard range would be great.

Old post, but does anyone know any place for long range shooting in South East Virginia? I'm in Smithfield VA 23430. I would like a longer range than what I use now, Lafayette Gun Club in Yorktown, Va. It's a great club, but it's longest range is just 100 yards. A 600 yard range would be great.
Bang steel in Wytheville, VA has steel out to 2160

Yes!!! Bang Steel in Wytheville Virg!! Father and son teach. Nice Country Inn hotel in town with a special school rate.

Peacemaker is a nice range, concrete benches, covered, potta potties. I RSO'ed there for a couple years. Public pistol to 30 yards, and rifle paper targets at 50 and 100 and steel at 200 and 300. Members can shoot 1000 steel on Wednesday and 600 on Sunday and there's 10 bays for rifle/pistol Thursday thru Sunday. And Frontier range is 250 to 1050 yards, open 2, 3 days a month. Plus they host some matches, have some training classes.
I moved shortly after new owners, who were making it nicer, but memberships doubled in price. Mil,Vet, LE memberships went up to $420 a year. Had a waiting list. Crappie ranges charge $30 a day, so it's worth it, I guess.
Pigg River is PRS matches only pretty much. Has only a couple open range days a year.
I moved to just above the NC line, luckily I found a 500 yard private range. I miss the 1000 yard steel range, we'd sit there and shoot at hanging tennis balls. But at least I can put up paper to 500 now.

I finally finished my .28 Nosler and put a Nightforce nx8 on it. I developed a load and got it shooting .625 at 200 yards. Now I'm trying to find a place where I can shoot out to 1000 to double check everything. It's extremely frustrating here. As I'm from Arizona and places to shooting was extremely easy to find.
Anyone know of a public or even better a private range? I'm in the Blacksburg area but willing to travel
I have a private range here at home! You did say....you're willing travel!!!! And...you'll see alot of great country along the way..if you leave Sunday...should have lots of light when you arrive ......Wednesday morning!

Last edited:
BearSwamp in Suffolk is expanding. right now they have rifle ranges to about 550yds but are building out to 800yds with plans on even more distance.

I did a rifle class there not long ago, and the folks were real nice too.

csant seem to find thge isaac walton league anywhere close to me. any links?
Go to nrviwla.org. That is our new website. I'm on the board of directors there. We don't have a true long-range setup. It is target frames out to 100 yards, then steel targets going up the hill at various ranges to about 200. PM me if you want more info on the club.