Any opinions on X Caliber barrels

coance

Just like the title say looking at going with a X Caliber for a 338 build and looking for reviews. If you dont like them why not ? If you do why?

Just like the title say looking at going with a X Caliber for a 338 build and looking for reviews. If you dont like them why not ? If you do why?

A belated welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Do a custom query on the top right corner for "x-caliber barrels" and should yield you 835 results.

Good luck!

Attachments

• LRHcustomsearch_zpsa1485285.jpg
    LRHcustomsearch_zpsa1485285.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 238
I did do the search but couldnt seem to find much specifically on 338. May be a long shot but was hoping someone may have done a 338 Lapua with them recently.

I've sent back far more Xcalibur barrels than I've used, soon the "mine shoots good" crowd will post 1/4 inch all day long, they cartainly can get lucky but I've slugged enough of them and seen their process, lapping is not consistant and the bores follows the taper of the OD contour, I know of a couple that shot out super fast because of poor heat treating. They obliously don't air guage all the barrels, I know one smith how has had decent luck with them but the rest of us suspect their sorting his barrels where we've just gotten them as a regular customer not mentioning being gunsmiths. They are my favorite barrel if I need to make a fire forming barrel for something.

used 4 so far, all have been good. none in 338, used .257/308/6mm so far,
bergara is my fav., but difficult to get/ wison when i need a "lot" of bbls.

Thanks guys and keep them coming. This is what I am looking for actual hands on experience/review. Anyone that has good or bad experience with any other brand 338 Lapua barrel is welcome to chim in as well. I am just trying to make the best decision I can on this build so all comments are welcome.

I've been through nearly 100 barrels this year, Proof, Kreiger, Rock Creek, Bartlien, Brux, Broughton, XCalibur, Hart, Lilja and Benchmark. I've only rejected XCalibur, most smiths I'm convinced don't even check barrels or don't really care, I've slugged every one that I've had and I have never had one as good as the worst of any other barrel I've used. Some friends went through two 375 barrels that were so far out of spec it was shocking, they ordered a 375 barrel from Rock Creek and it was dead nuts to the spec.
I'm a Montana gunsmith and I like to use our Montana products and I'm price consience but I will not use one of those barrels on a build and compromise the quality of the heart of a precision rifle, even the one barrel that I have used that was technically in spec I'm afraid will have issues down the road because of inconsistent heat treating which some are reporting. Another warning is how many stories are out there of barrels being bought back!!

My personal favorite for many reasons is Rock Creek, I think any top barrel is good, Rock, Krieger, Brux, Bartlien and Hart are in my preferred list, those deliver barrels to spec every time and I like how they cut from barrel to barrel.

So far I like mine. It is a .243 pre-fit Savage, 28" LV contour. I have almost 500 rounds down it using 105 Hornaday bthp with H1000. It has not been slugged but running a rod down it, it feels pretty good. It does shoot very well. This was purchased and being used for PRS style shooting while my newest 6mm Competition Match was being chambered. I'm not sure how well it will hold up,only time will tell. If it falls short from what I think I should get out of it, then there will not be another. The accuracy is there 5 shot group at 1000 yards under 5". Good enough for steel for me, good load and so far is consistent. There are plenty of different barrel brands out there being chambered into pre fits, I figured I'd try an X-Caliber. I have had most of the others and quite a few Kriegers. Haven't had a bad shooter or a problem with any,knock on wood, so far. It could be a gamble.

One gunsmith I talked about doing the work suggested them. At the time I was looking at Bartlein. At the price point difference I figured I would ask and see how good/bad the X caliber barrels are.

Saving 100.00 on a barrel is silly when it's the most important part of a accurate gun and a small fraction of the cost for a custom rifle. Cry once and be done IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.