Any new ultra light scopes?

I have 2 Howa Mini 6.5 Grendels and they are great little rifles. I love shooting and hunting with them.

1st is the 20" Lightweight Barrel Model. I modified the factory Stock and put a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 CDS on it. Loaded up and ready to go it weighs just under 6.5lbs.

2nd is a 20" Heavy Barrel Threaded with a modified factory Stock as well. It has a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 CDS 30mm on it and weighs just under 8lbs Loaded.

2.56 - 3.35 is what I read, but I have no real world experience with SWFA.

For a very light recoiling gun, 2.5"ish might be fine but I wouldn't want to be behind that scope on any gun with any buck to it.

SWFA's are pretty much a great value (maybe the best value) and I have a few but they're not perfect. What scope is? Your not looking at a line of scopes but rather one in particular. Anyway, that eye relief, in my opinion, is a little goofy on a light hunting gun. Otherwise it certainly would check most of the boxes a guy would be interest in for a light build.

I'm thinking seriously about the CZ 527 in 6.5, possibly rechambering to 6.5 BR. New stock to cut the weight further and a Swarovski 3-9x36, 12 ozs. Could be a sweet little rig at about 5 1/2 to 6 lbs total weight.

I'd really like a 6br for sure so many good Bullets for a 6mm. Barrel life would be great on a 6.5 though

MG Arms is only about half an hour away from me, I spoke with them about a replacement Kevlar stock, they can build it at around 13 ozs for me. I'll see how the barrel is when I get mine. If it's accurate I'll just have some fun. If not I might need to rebarrel.

Does anyone know the weight of the 527 action alone? I called CZ about a week ago, they couldn't tell me. The thought of an ultra-ultra light 6.5 BR/Dasher is intriguing. That might not be the action for what I have in mind though I hope so. Sounds like fun.

Mike

Mike you could always send that action to twisted. He does some serious weight cutting. He's gonna do my mini action and barrel. I had my 6.5 creed built as an Uber light but added weight back with stock and scope and it's right on the edge of being to light to shoot long range.

You can still find the old Leupold 2-7x28 Ultralight on eBay or occasionally at retailers. It weighs 8 oz and is the gold standard for super ultralight rigs.

Mike you could always send that action to twisted. He does some serious weight cutting. He's gonna do my mini action and barrel. I had my 6.5 creed built as an Uber light but added weight back with stock and scope and it's right on the edge of being to light to shoot long range.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it.

Well I got the swfa ultra light. It is very nice. Can't say I even notice the eye relief being tight. It's on a 5.3lbs Howa Mini cut up and down to save weight. That's 5.3 with the scope. Scope has great turrets feel good glass and decent eye relief. All could be better but are great for what it's intended purpose is. Glass doesn't seem real bright or anything special but seems to gather a good amount of light when it's going away. Scope just looks funny cause you are so used to 40 plus mm bells.
It easily goes up to and past legal shooting hours. Very happy with it so far. It's a weird deal I'm not over impressed with any one part of the scope but the whole package is exactly what I needed.
May just be the fact I'm now spoiled with Leica bios and nightforce scopes.

Well I got the swfa ultra light. It is very nice. Can't say I even notice the eye relief being tight. It's on a 5.3lbs Howa Mini cut up and down to save weight. That's 5.3 with the scope. Scope has great turrets feel good glass and decent eye relief. All could be better but are great for what it's intended purpose is. Glass doesn't seem real bright or anything special but seems to gather a good amount of light when it's going away. Scope just looks funny cause you are so used to 40 plus mm bells.
It easily goes up to and past legal shooting hours. Very happy with it so far. It's a weird deal I'm not over impressed with any one part of the scope but the whole package is exactly what I needed.
May just be the fact I'm now spoiled with Leica bios and nightforce scopes.
What base/rings did you use? Would you mind posting some pics of the rifle? I'm contemplating a very similar build.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.