Light gathering scopes

Zeiss HT 3-12x56 and Polar 56mm S&B used to be the brightest that I have ever looked through. They have been bested by the Zeiss V8 4.8-35x60 with the 36mm tube. The V8 in the 60mm objective, 36mm tube, and tiny illuminated dot that you can easily adjust to almost not even illuminated is incredible. The one thing that I believe others are not taking into account is, can you identify and utilize the reticle as well as having a bright sight picture. Any of the top tier scopes are fantastic. But some of them are not as user friendly while using the reticle. Not all reticles are user friendly in low light. Especially if they are not illuminated. Then you may loose out because of washout from the lighted reticle. I have used TT, S&B, Nightforce, Swarovski, Leica, IOR, Zeiss, Leupold and others. With a 56mm obj. and bigger with the tech and glass of top tier optics its truly amazing at how good they can be.

Agree 100%, that particular v8 in a good sample is about unbeatable as glass goes imo, especially after hours, doesn't matter the make or the price, from hensoldt to tt, zco, sb, doesn't matter, been there don't that. I've settled on the the smaller 56 version in 20x mainly due to size difference, but the 60 version in the original 36 tube is next level in every way, it's a beast in the literal sense.

Last edited: