not happy with Leupold light gathering

jeff 300

i know i'm about to start something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifbut! i have 2 8.5x25x50 lr leups scopes. i was hunting the other evening and as it got dark i couldn't see any thing. before you all start telling me that 8.5 is to high power for night i know. but heres the kicker i also have a 8.5x25x50 mueller on my 223. the next day i got it out and looked through it close to dark same thing dark could n't see. so i went and got the mueller put it beside the leupy and it was a lot brighter so i thougt there must be something with the leup. so i went and got the other leupy with all three side by side the mueller was still way brighter in low light. i played with them till it was totaly dark and got the spot light out. i could not count the horns on a 3d buck bow targe at 100 yrds with the leups. but i could with the mueller. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif what in the h$$$ is going on here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif some one please tell me what the deal is. a 200.00 scope is brighter than a 1000.00 scope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sorry to hear your bad experience but I have been very happy w/all the Leupies I've owned. Are there brighter scopes?? Sure there are. I haven't looked at a Mueller so I can't comment on them.

bill you should try to take a look at a mueller it a nice scope for 200.00. and thanks for a great price on my swar range finder. i will be giving you a call on a night force soon. i just pulled the rifles out and looked down my road the mueller is clearer looks to me i don't know what is wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

It's my belief that it has ALOT to do with the COLOUR of the light transmitted.

I've been testing a whole load of stuff over the last year or so. And recently have been playing with some reasonable Chinese stuff. One of these appears to be MUCH brighter but a light meter shows the lumens received to be near identical. Sadly dont have a spectrograph handy.

It's why (I think) I cant get on with Zeiss, Swarovski and Leupold. And yet S&B, Kahles I'm OK with. Zeiss actually make my eyes hurt. I seem actually to GENERALLY be more comfy with the older coatings used by the Russians - Odd isn't it.

I am aware that my eyes are very sensitive in this respect for other reasons - but it's just a thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.