Any help for a newbie?

Deserthorn

I am currently trying to develop a load for a 7mm Rem Mag Savage LRH. We have tried RL22 and 7828 at various charges and seating depths with berger 168s and new Nosler brass. Almost every single three shot group results in the first shot being 1.5 - 2.5 inches (usually low) from the final two shots. We have not cleaned the barrel between each group, and we give plenty of time between each shot for the barrel to cool. We are checking the scope mounts and considering trying another bullet. Any reasons why this would happen? If we could dial in that first shot the groups would be well under 1MOA. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've never had much success with Berger bullets. My suggestion is - first - try a different bullet (Sierra or Nosler) to see if the errant pattern continues. Next try Retumbo powder. Not enough shots fired or different component combinations to make any definitive statements about the guns performance. How does it shoot with factory loads?

Thanks for the input, I will be running a few factory loads through it this week to see how they do. I have heard the Bergers can be difficult. I will probably try a couple more combinations and then try another bullet.

140-150gr nos or 140-150gr sierra and rl22 or 7828 with a mag primer. Pretty much all you need for a 7mag unless 175-180gr are on the menu. Then it'd be rl25, 7828, h1000 or retumbo. I prefer the rl series when they will shoot, so I start with them.

I am working with the Berger VLD right now for a hunting set up. Tried a couple more groups with 7828 this evening with similar results. We have tried a fairly wide range of seating depths and charges for both RL22 and 7828. This gun seems to do better with the bullet seated well off the lands, but still seems to spray one shot in each group. May be able to try some Retumbo and H-1000 before giving up on the bergers.

my remington 700 7 mm mag shoots the 168 bergers into less than half inch with the powders i have tried. three shot groups don't t ell you much. h-1000 is a good one , re-19 and re-22 . where are you what are you hunting??

Take a look at these
.284 Caliber Bullets Custom Built for Accuracy | Matrix Ballistics

They don't seem to be all that sensitive like Berger's can be. I'm working up a load now with the Matrix 168gr VLD, so far I've only looked for the happy charge using OCW method, but all 5 charges went 1 moa or better. Tomorrow we'll see what primer it likes, then find out about seating depth.

Right now I'm at 65gr RL22.Tomorrow I'm try CCI 250, Rem 9 1/2M, WLRM, Fed 215, Fed 215M
Initial testing was 0.035" off the lands (I meant to use 0.020"), corrected that on this next batch.

Sounds more like a bedding or action torque issue. Try skim bedding, torquing to manny specs or pressure to the barrel tip.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.