any difference in fps

longrange700

I was shooting 178-amaxs in my 308 win with 45 grains of varget I was getting 2740 fps, I have switched to 175 smk and using the same load. I won't get a chance to chrono them for a while, are these traveling the same speed or how much gain do you think I am getting.

They hit 1'' high at a hundred and about 3'' high at 500 when I use my drop chart for the 178's.

P.S The 175's are shooting .25'' three shot groups at 100 yards,,center to center. I switched because they will fit in the mag and the a-maxs had to be loaded longer to get good accuracy. thanks-for the help.

2740 fps sounds a little bit high to me but, maybe you have a fast barrel or something else. With the 175 smk's I get about 20 fps over the 178's.

I checked 10 rounds thru the chrono before season and 2740 was the average with only a 9fps difference.The gun is a rem 700 with a 26 inch tube it is the tactical 700 xcr, so far I am amazed with the gun it shoots way better than I ever thought it would. I will try to get the 175s chrono'ed next month, just thought someone would have an idea for me on fps gain. thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.