Any 9.3x62 shooters on here?

Calvin45

I've got my eye on a nice Zastava m70 in this chambering.

Anyone on here shoot this cartridge? Do you love it, hate it, feel indifferent toward it?

And, to really provoke some, which would you take if offered a 9.3 or a .35 whelen?

I want to be one. I've got a commercial mauser action sitting in a gorgeous piece of walnut that's pretty close to done but still needs a recoil pad and final finish, with a long chambered Lothar Walthar 9.3x62 barrel that will be dropped at the gunsmith in the next day or two for fitting.

I have a .358 wildcat thats the ballistic twin to the 35 Whelen also.

I say get one of each.

I think as much as I like the .35 Whelen, I'd have to try the 9.3x62mm cartridge, I've always wanted to play with it but never did. A real sleeper in my book... looking at ballistics. Good luck Cheers

I had a CZ550 in 9.3x62 many moons ago. Accuracy was very good, 2 powders worked very well, 760 and H4350. Shot 286g bullets mostly, but lost interest in it when I got my Kimber Talkeetna in 375H&H and Win Model 70 custom in 375 Bee. I also preferred my 338-06 due to bullet selection and the higher velocity.
Apart from the above, it is a great cartridge on large game.

Cheers.

Had a CZ American and am still kicking myself for selling it. Extremely accurate and very little recoil to me......The poor man's 375 H&H. Shot a big bull elk and a Scimitar Horned Oryx with the 286 grainers and both dropped like an anvil fell out of the sky on their heads.

Anyone on here shoot this cartridge? Do you love it, hate it, feel indifferent toward it?

And, to really provoke some, which would you take if offered a 9.3 or a .35 whelen?
Great chambering
I have two 9.3x62s
One is a jc Higgins rebore by Jes out of Oregon, the other is a savage 110 in a hogue stock with a 21" ER Shaw barrel that I got on sale last year for $170. Haven't had a chance to take any game with either one yet but they pack a punch

I had one for a while. Very pretty Oberndorf Mauser built before WWI. I had a .375 H&H magnum at the same time, and ended up using the H&H rather than the 9.3X62, mostly because I had it first and had already developed loads for it and was very happy with the way it worked on game. I also thought the recoil on the 9.3X62 was a little more harsh than the H&H. The H&H was a Winchester M70, so the stock might've been better designed to spread the recoil out or something. I broke that Winchester stock when I tripped over a root chasing Cape buffalo through the bush in Tanzania. Restocked it with a pretty piece of maple, but probably reduced it's value when I did.

Botton line: see if you can shoot a 9.3X62 a few times to see if the recoil is unpleasant to you.

I had one for a while. Very pretty Oberndorf Mauser built before WWI. I had a .375 H&H magnum at the same time, and ended up using the H&H rather than the 9.3X62, mostly because I had it first and had already developed loads for it and was very happy with the way it worked on game. I also thought the recoil on the 9.3X62 was a little more harsh than the H&H. The H&H was a Winchester M70, so the stock might've been better designed to spread the recoil out or something. I broke that Winchester stock when I tripped over a root chasing Cape buffalo through the bush in Tanzania. Restocked it with a pretty piece of maple, but probably reduced it's value when I did.

Botton line: see if you can shoot a 9.3X62 a few times to see if the recoil is unpleasant to you.
For sure that's a matter of rifle weight and stock design. I have shot both those cartridges but don't own either. In my experience the hh kicked a lot harder but it was a featherweight sako from the 80s haha

Yes!
Great brass can be had, Norma RWS and Lapua
RL17 does great with 285 gr stuff
I do have a personal soft spot for 35 caliber, but if it helps you I'm sitting on reamers and Krieger barrels for one of each, 35 Whelen and 9.3x62 I'll build on Win 70 CRF actions.

In a Blaser 93, I get virtually zero difference POI at 100 yards with different bullets of the same weight, even with different powder