Antelope gear?

I took my favorite camo pants, heavy duty and had thick leather pad sewn at knees, and I use basic leather glove, funny thing is the 2 big bucks on my hit list that I SPENT DAYS AND MILES chasing, I ran right by my buddy in the truck,with no tag:D

I use the HATCH kneepads and regular soccer elbow pads.

For gloves I have the bob allen unlined leather shooting gloves or some blackhawk fury commando. The blackhawk are super nice but not holding up well over time. The bob allen leather are also great for shooting but not very warm.

Somewhere in my garage is a pair of cabelas pittard lined gloves which are probably the best overall but I have no idea where they are buried...?

Its more about what conditions you have and what is comfortable for you.

The brand names wore off mine a long time ago. I like for the knees the heavy duty ones found in the hardware stores, and then (because of knee surgeries) the softer athletic type under that offers more cushion. The athletic types for my elbows (soft) work fine. I do a better job knowing where to place my elbows. I get a bit focussed and think I've past
a lone cactus when I haven't. On that first trip (30 years ago) I decided a cup might not be a bad addition to my Antelope "ghillie", but that's a story for another day!

Laughin' here - and no - my son and I can't get our schedules together well enough for a father-son antelope hunt this year. Maybe 2012.

No big problem though, we'll fly fish and hunt deer & small game together.

Regards, Guy

Don't wear the knee-pads, although over about 40 years of antelope-huntin', I've picked-out a few stickers (ouch)!

For gloves, I have an old pair of Wells Lamont insulated winter-wt. work gloves (made in Korea). The palms are hardened by being blood-soaked from packin' elk quarters, many antelope drags and mulie pack-outs over the years. They fit loose enough to drop-off my shooting-hand when its time to get the shot off. No thorns have ever penetrated them.

An old hunting buddy (gone over the great divide now) used to wear a pair of heavy-duty bird-hunting pants, with a special facing on the front of the legs. Said they were ok.

Got a WY tag this year, so maybe I'll see you out there,

Jim

On last year's hunt, I wore Cabela's elk leather gloves and they were fantastic however as they were lined they would probably be a bit much for a September hunt. (we hunted in Oct in 60 deg. days) Being from PA and as this was our first goat hunt, my dad and I both took simple athletic knee pads. The only cactus I picked was out of the side of my stomach from laying prone to take a shot......gotta love the Gerber multi-tool for cactus removal.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.