Antelope bullet

Not sure I'd hunt anything in that much wind with my 338 lapua improved with 300 grain bullets. At least not at any range. That's where common sense plays a role. No bullet/rifle combination beats plain old common sense in days like that.

Good thing about lots of wind, it generally makes them easy to find as well easy to get up on. Unless one is hunting the opener with tons of hunter traffic. Tons of wind will put them down and out of the wind tucked away and out of the wind. (they don't like it anymore than we do)

I've been hunting the buggers for 42 years, seen an ark load or three them killed. Generally zero reason to shoot in tons of wind and or over 400 yards unless one just wants to.

The rifle our family uses the most is a 22/250 with a 60 Horn HP(14 twist, I know the horrors eh....). It just isn't rocket science to reduce them to the freezer. In the last 4 years, we've taken 26 head of small big game (deer/lope) with 26 rounds. From 35-400 yards. 24 of those went right down (none CNS hits, just plink them behind the front take out the lungs) the other two had one take a couple steps and I had one 90 pound whitey doe that thought she was a track star and ran about 35 yards.

They are our fam's fav table fair, so take good care of the meat there isn't a lot of them to begin with.

It tends to be, for the most part where antelope live out this way, flat, and range judgement can be difficult & wind can be not in your favor? So whatever you choose, your rifle and cartridge might even have changed by the time of your hunt, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

what about the 90 gr.accubond accurate bullet normally and less meat damage
If results are similar from 90g Accubonds with .376 bc to scirocco 90g with .419 I'll try out the scirocco first. I shoot 110g Accubonds out of my rem 700 257 wby. You're right they are an accurate bullet.

for the 243 I'm thinking 400'ish yards. I've also got a 257 wby that shoots 110g Accubonds well, is trust that rifle out further than 400.
I've killed a pile of antelope and if it were me I'd stick with the 257 and the Nosler AB. You can get within 500 yards of one without a lot of effort so your AB should mushroom good for the kill and stay together and punch through for minimal meat damage.

From 400 yards and in BC really doesn't mean a lot. For that matter, considering it's antelope, bullet construction isn't all that critical either. They are small and soft. The danger is not a bullet that doesn't make the vitals, it's a bullet that purples a backstrap or destroys an entire shoulder (or 2). Actually a 70 grain Ballistic Tip is fantastic. Speed enough at 3400 to 3550 to beat the wind at 400 and as long as you are past 80 to 100 yards, they act exactly like a Berger VLDH. If you can keep it in the ribs they are dead by the time you cycle the bolt with little meat damage. Trouble is there is potential for that ruined front half or back half if you miss your spot. This is the longest way ever to say, if you are comfortable with your accuracy, you will have a dead goat and you'll be happy regardless of the bullet you pick.

"My" unwritten rule is 1000 FT-LBS of energy and 1800/1600 FPS depending on the bullet.

Does this mean that the incomparable 6.5 Creedmoor is only good to about 700 yards with this 1000 ft lbs of energy requirement and factory ammo? Thought they were at their best beyond 1500 yards...

I've got a good friend that hunts with a 9.25 twist .243. He has fantastic luck with the 95gr nosler BT. He takes Michigan white tails and pigs in Texas with it. Doesn't do to bad on the meat either. He is very good to 400 yards. He will do 500 if everything is perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.