Antelope bullet

Junglebird

I'm looking for advise on a 243 antelope bullet. I've got a rem model 7 predator. It's supposed to have a 1:9 twist. From what I read antelope are not tough to kill, so much of what I read suggests ballistic tips and such. I'm not opposed to using them, but in my experiences (with other calibers) they cause an excess of meat damage. I was thinking 95g partition?Ive never shot partitions before in any caliber. Was thinking that bullet could work for WI whitetail as well. I reload. Your thoughts?
9DBA823F-81E4-48AF-B760-3A41A81C9D46.jpeg

Sierra 85Gr BTHP GameKings are fantastic. the 90 grain Scirocco and Accubonds both work very well. 85, 95, and 100 grain Partitions and the 85 grain Barnes TSX are good. Out to 400 the Accubond is probably the best choice on paper, but I would be choosing between the 85 grain GameKing and 85 Partition. We have killed scores of critters from 10 to 400 yards and 50 to 250 pounds with these bullets without a failure or unacceptable meat damage.

I'm looking for advise on a 243 antelope bullet. I've got a rem model 7 predator. It's supposed to have a 1:9 twist. From what I read antelope are not tough to kill, so much of what I read suggests ballistic tips and such. I'm not opposed to using them, but in my experiences (with other calibers) they cause an excess of meat damage. I was thinking 95g partition?Ive never shot partitions before in any caliber. Was thinking that bullet could work for WI whitetail as well. I reload. Your thoughts?

It does NOT matter which bullet you use or caliber/chambering, shot placement and displacement are the keys to a humane harvest and minimum meat damage. However, the "NUT" behind the trigger is the biggest factor. Is this your first antelope hunt? I have shot 180 NBT out of my .300 WM on antelope doe/fawn at ~100 yards with minimum meat damage. Similarly, with 215 Bergers off .300 WM and 225 NABs off .338 WM.

Regardless if you use the .243 or the .257, use the heaviest/highest BC that gives you the best group at the furthest range you intend to shoot the game with enough energy and minimum velocity for the bullet to expand effectively at the point of impact. "My" unwritten rule is 1000 FT-LBS of energy and 1800/1600 FPS depending on the bullet.

Good luck!

The scirocco has a high BC for being 90g. I don't have any experience with them. How is performance with them? I realize that I can't have consistent results and not have meat damage. I'm just looking to to reduce as much as possible.

I have never hunted antelope before. I won't cash in points for a couple years yet. I'm just getting ready.

Then you are far ahead than most new antelope hunters. A few years ago, I took a military member out that supposedly grew up hunting. However, he was from GA and only hunted on a stand and the average range is 50 yards or so. The closest we can get is ~200 yards and he was not comfortable with it.

Where is your hunt? As @WAHOOYAHOO noted, it can be windy where they roam. Below is a video in one of my antelope hunts ...

Good luck!

The 95 Part will work very well, as well most any 24 cal bullet. The 100 Hornady sp will do will, the 90 Speer isn't sexy but it's just like novocaine works every time! The 70 and 95 NBT's are far and away my fav. The 80 TTSX would be a rock star.

It isn't rocket science to get within 400 yards 99% of the time.

Good on you for getting ahead of this!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.