Antelope 1,034 yards w/Video

BigBboy25

Buddy of mine drew an antelope tag here in Colorado, his rifle took a digger before the hunt so I lent him mine and plate camera man. Video turned out pretty good through the Swarovski with the phone scope.

Rifle:
.300 win mag
Rem 700
McMillan A3
Hart 28" 1-9" hunter BR contour
Jewell Trigger
Kelbly rings and 20MOA bases
Leupold 6.5-20x50LR

Load:
215 Berger Hybrid
H1000
Nosler brass
Fed 215M
0.015" jump
Vel: 2,991 per magneto

Link to video:

[ame="https://vimeo.com/185703479"]Austin 1,034 Antelope on Vimeo[/ame]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 21
Nice work and thanks for taking the time to film it. I started filming some stuff and it's a lot to keep on top of as everything is going on, especially solo hunting.
Do you know why you were high on the first shot, did you make any corrections ?
Again, congratulations for breaking the 1,000 yard mark !

Nice work and thanks for taking the time to film it. I started filming some stuff and it's a lot to keep on top of as everything is going on, especially solo hunting.
Do you know why you were high on the first shot, did you make any corrections ?
Again, congratulations for breaking the 1,000 yard mark !

The reason for the high first shot was probably because I was trying to run the rangefinder, ballistics program, camera and call wind all at the same time. I failed to plug in the -5 to -10 degree slope into the program and we were shooting ESE, plugging both those into applied ballistics would have dropped it a 1/4 minute, roughly 3" and put it dead nuts for the high shoulder he said he was going for. That goat got a close hair cut though from the first one though :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 19
Hmmmm... I am going to use my 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator (Boyd's Classic stock & Timney trigger) for antelope in 2017. I'll use Hornady 143 gr. ELD-X ammo B/C it shoots 3/4 MOA consistently.

But I have a .300 WM Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker that I could try with hand loaded Berger 230 gr. Hybrid bullets. They are great for carrying the bullet supersonic to 1,200 yards+.

Maybe should take the A-Bolt as a "back up" rifle if I can't get closer to the antelope than 1,000 yards.

Since I compete in PRS and local "laid back long range" competitions I am getting much better at shooting long distance from odd positions.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.