another scope turrent question

Greg Duerr

D
oes your bullet trajectory change from low elevation to high elevation. In the ballistic charts it asks this question, is it because of air density ? I was reading about Grey Bull turrents on their Leupold scopes and they mentioned that their turrent is set at their shop for the elevation you will be hunting at ...well sometimes im hunting at 4500 and then 9000

I was looking at the Leupold Mark 4 M1 Long Range Tactical Rifle

So I would guess that if I plan on hunting at 6000 ft I just get the data for my load bullet combination and put the info into a ballistic calculater and use that data.

What is your opinion on the Leupold Mark 4 LR scopes

Yes bullet trajectory will change with elevation. A bullet will fly flatter and retain more energy at higher elevations. A bullets flight can be affected by lots of things. Temp, Humidity and even wind direction can effect the trajectory in a big way. This is why I much prefer a standard moa turret rather than a custom dial as to many things change and effect trajectory.

I've had the custom dials. But I'm the type of guy that I'm never satisfied with the load or bullet I'm shooting. So might as well trash the dials. I prefer the moa turret also like stated above so I've tossed the custom dials for a standard moa turret. Temp an elevation does effect bullet performance. When I set up my custom dials , I picked average elevation and temperature. Which will keep you in the ballpark at various temps and elevations. But hell no sense worrying about that. You might end up jumping your buck of a lifetime on the hike into your stand an shoot him at point blank!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.