another one bites the dust

älg

A friend of mine who was shooting a 6,5 x 57 with a zeiss scope on top upgraded the optics and went for a zeiss 6-24x 56 with a mil-dot reticle.
He recently bought a Sako Finnlight in 270 wsm and placed the big Zeiss scope in the new rifle.
During load development he´s been going nuts because of some big changes in the groups. Finally he´s realized that it was a scope problem, since even with the same lis goups were ranging between 1/4 moa and 8 ". This after missing some game in different hunts at such ranges as 200 m.

After talking to him, it seems that this scope was bought second hand to a distributor, and the scope had been on top of heavy recoiling rifles (probably some 300 rum).

He never had problems with the zeiss 6-24x 56 in the mild mannered 6,5 x 57. But when shooting the 270 wsm, the problem appeared.

At this stage, I guess it doesnt matter much if the reticle broke when shooting a 300 rum or the 270 wsm. The point is that a high quality scope did not last long.

I don´t know if anyone has experienced such problems with a zeiss???

I was waiting to receive my S&B to compare; now I guess I can beat him with a Trashco hands down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Redfield had the same problems with their 3200 scopes when they first hit the market in the late '60s. People were putting them on rifles having heavy recoil and they lasted a few dozen rounds; sometimes much less. Two I tested didn't last 10 rounds on a .30-.338. The company claimed their 6400 series didn't have the problem. A friend of mine went through 1 new 6400 and two more replacements from Redfield under warranty on his 7mm Rem. Mag; all three didn't make it through 30 shots. After he got a refund from Redfield for what he paid for it, he bought a Weaver T20 and never had another problem.

I have an S&B 1.5-6x42 on a Benelli SBE II; I've shot so many 3.5" shells that I'M broken, but the scope is fine.

I have another S&B (5-25x56) on a 30-378...'nary a problem there either.

As BAT actions say, "Buy the best, and cry only once."

I haven't owned any of the upper end Zeiss's, but have owned 4 Conquests. I've had no problem with any of them. I've had one on a .300 Wby for the last 5 years and have put close to 900 rounds through it in that time. It still seems to be as good as the day I bought it.

Delta, to be honest I was surprised to see this problem in a Zeiss. As I said, the same guy had been shooting another Zeiss for years with no problem. maybe the weight of the scope has also some influence. a heavier scope increases the effect of recoil in the same scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.